Power Steering fluid leak at Tie Rod Boot

bob141

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Apologies if I missed searching in archive threads:
A4 BEW 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI.
Been seeing Power Steering fluid leak at the Tie Rod Boots. Clamps had come loose (Mechanic used plastic zip ties). I applied metal clamps to remedy, I thought.
Now outer end driver boot on tie rod shows split and leaks. Why, given installed in 2015, new tie rods with boots and my originals lasted from 2004 till 2015.
So occured to me, I have bigger problem. If fluid in Tie Rod Boot, is it really the Steering Rack leaking? It's original (222k miles). Researching my Robert Bentley, but can't fnd any clues there.
If just the boot is issue, don't suppose they make a "split" boot to install and save taking off tie rod. Had such for old VW Beetle (65) on CV joints.
Maybe I need another mechanic.
Thanks.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Unfortunately your going to need to replace the rack seals. You have to pull the rack off the car to do it. You might as well do the full job, get all the gaskets and seals.
Your probably have this issue to the wrong fluid used.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Yeah the inner tie rod boots are just dust covers, there is no fluid behind them normally.

You’re probably going to be replacing the steering rack, nobody I know of rebuilds them though there must be some who do as there is a gasket kit available.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just about every rack i have come across is about the same when it comes to traditional power steering. end seals, input shaft seal, a few orings some times, thats it. 90% of the work is getting the darn thing out and back in, rebuilding them may seem infuriating but once you are able to figure out how to strip them down, its fairly easy.
if you DO have it replaced, go OEM, its probably going to cost about as much as your car is worth lol. this is why i rebuild racks, i never did a mk4, but i did my mk3, i cant imagine there much different. im sure there is a write up on this somewhere. $20 in seals and fluid, a 3 day weekend for sure!
you will probably need to rebuild the steering pump too.
on VW its mission critical to use the proper fluid for the steering and transmission. use the wrong stuff and this happens.
there is NO chemical solution for a mechanical problem.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That’s the issue, there is no write up I’m aware of anywhere. Rockauto has a Gates kit with all the seals.

Idparts has new racks and of course the junkyard is full of used ones.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These racks rarely fail, I'd be OK with a used one myself. However brand new ones are not terribly expensive. Rebuilt ones (Cardone, etc.) usually do not last very long.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, not li ike its complicated to rebuild them. You need a c clip pair of pliers and a few other typical tools like pics, punches, and your typical sockets ect.
Most of these VW racks are built very similar and the link I posted should get you 90% of the way with what to do. Rebuild is going to be your best option.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I put a used one in about 5 years ago, because mine was leaking, it’s been good so far.

I followed the link I didn’t realize there was a write up on a rebuild. You’re right that’s pretty much the same rack or close to it.

bob141

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Definitely a nasty job to remove one of these. Was therefore thinking OEM replacement to speed along. Rock Auto confuses me as they talk "With Variable Ratio (Servotronic)" and "W/O Variable Ratio" both under 2004 A4 TDI. My Robert Bentley manual makes no mention or distinction. I'd be inclined to guess my TDI is With Out, but....

Also in case...any one know of reliable independent VW mechanic in Baltimore MD area. I hesitate to drive it back to Southern NJ at this point.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But.... but..... the work to change the seals is 10x easier than pulling the rack its self and costs about $20!
Just rebuild it! Unless it has a lot of play in it.
Look up seller at BBB and do some review searching on them. Never purchased from them before. Seems fair price for a reman that will give you nightmares of issues down the road.

bob141

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Think I would have to see a video on changing seals while rack is still mounted on car. Will check YouTube. And need tools to get Tie Rods off.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
But.... but..... the work to change the seals is 10x easier than pulling the rack its self and costs about $20!
Just rebuild it! Unless it has a lot of play in it.
Look up seller at BBB and do some review searching on them. Never purchased from them before. Seems fair price for a reman that will give you nightmares of issues down the road.
So you are saying you can rebuild it in situ?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you are saying you can rebuild it in situ?
No. You have to pull it to rebuild it. But the work was done, no reason to not rebuild it once pulled unless worn. Or you hate money and love reman garbage.