www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 2nd, 2017, 00:21   #1
jshwamie

Fuel Economy: 38 mpg
Default 3 Bar map upgrade tuning?

I have a new SMIC with 2.5 lower plumbing. rocketchip stage 3, VR6 Clutch, 11mm pump with lift pump. Kerma TDI Long Runner intake manifold, 2.5 DP - str8 pipe. PP520 nozzles, bilstein suspension with coil overs. Running stock gt1749v turbo. I will be putting a stage 2 or 3 cam in, with head studs and would like to do something with the turbo eventually here. Maybe try to hybridize it somehow to squeeze 200hp (which is my goal for this car) out of it, or upgrade to gt1749vb which I could make 17/22 or go for 1726 instead (daily driver so like the faster spool). Not really sure where I'm at with HP currently, guessing like 160. Gunna jump on the dyno this fall.
With that said. I would like to upgrade to a 3 bar MAP. I read that u can't just slap it in and be done. You have to adjust some sort of tuning. Can someone explain this a little for me? Keep in mind I have a rocketchip, and I can't seem to get them to reply to me. Basically I want to know if I can buy some software or something and adjust what I need to make the 3 bar work. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
3 Dr 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDi. SMIC with 2.5 lower pipe. 11 mm pump & lift pump, Bosio Sprint 520 nozzles, Kerma TDi Long Runner manifold so no EGR, stock gt1749v turbo, stage 3 RC, VR6 Clutch, shifter work, 2.5 DP turbo back exhaust. Spec-D head lights, Bilstein shocks & springs sitting on 17's with aftermarket leather seats.
jshwamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 17:40   #2
Owain@malonetuning

You'll need a whole new tune for a 3 bar MAP. Since the map sensor works of a voltage reading, you'll be off by 6/5 (3/2.5bar) for all of your boost requests. It will give other running issues as well. A 3 bar is needed for anything past ~22 PSI.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 21:13   #3
jshwamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
You'll need a whole new tune for a 3 bar MAP. Since the map sensor works of a voltage reading, you'll be off by 6/5 (3/2.5bar) for all of your boost requests. It will give other running issues as well. A 3 bar is needed for anything past ~22 PSI.
Hm okay. Ya I'm new to the tuning thing. Do you have suggestions on how to go about this, like a company or software that will give me the tuning potential?

3 Dr 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDi. SMIC with 2.5 lower pipe. 11 mm pump & lift pump, Bosio Sprint 520 nozzles, Kerma TDi Long Runner manifold so no EGR, stock gt1749v turbo, stage 3 RC, VR6 Clutch, shifter work, 2.5 DP turbo back exhaust. Spec-D head lights, Bilstein shocks & springs sitting on 17's with aftermarket leather seats.
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:49   #4
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Your comment on the 11mm pump caused me to look at the car in your signature. You will likely get much better response to your question in the Mk IV or power enhancements sub-fourms.
Old March 6th, 2017, 22:01   #5
jshwamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
Your comment on the 11mm pump caused me to look at the car in your signature. You will likely get much better response to your question in the Mk IV or power enhancements sub-fourms.
I'll try that thanks. Just wanna get this 3 bar thing figured out. I live in a small town so I can really only get information via web. Just can't seem to get the answers I need on this one.