Cam upgrade?

Ct-csrt

TDI
Wtb atm
I have a 98 Jetta tdi with 251k a lifter went so I decided to just rebuild the whole head and do the job right once. Now I'm wondering has anyone out a stage 2 cam in the ahu motors? I'd like better parts in it but more power is a plus specially if it's only few hundred dollar difference. What do people recommend? Has anyone built a top end? Now I'm not trying to go crazy but I would like a stronger top end. So what the best lifters n valves everyone is running?

Now will my injector pump supply more a safe amount of fuel? Will I need bigger injectors? Etc.

I'm new to tdi but have ticketed with turboed car before. I plan on ripping the head this week to see the damage. So I'd like to have a game plan.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I have a 98 Jetta tdi with 251k a lifter went so I decided to just rebuild the whole head and do the job right once. Now I'm wondering has anyone out a stage 2 cam in the ahu motors? I'd like better parts in it but more power is a plus specially if it's only few hundred dollar difference. What do people recommend? Has anyone built a top end? Now I'm not trying to go crazy but I would like a stronger top end. So what the best lifters n valves everyone is running?

Now will my injector pump supply more a safe amount of fuel? Will I need bigger injectors? Etc.

I'm new to tdi but have ticketed with turboed car before. I plan on ripping the head this week to see the damage. So I'd like to have a game plan.
if you are going for crazy power install a pd lift pump

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264050

search the threads for turbo and nozzles upgrades

Ct-csrt

TDI
Wtb atm
I'm not looking for crazy power. I'm looking for reliability, a little more power maybe if the next guy wants to push it more he can. I don't wanna mod the crap out of the thing so it loses it value if you understand where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to upgrade the clutch anytime soon. The rust is gonna be my next project to take on.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
try google - will show you some options
try "TDI cam" or TDI Camshaft" as search terms and you will get how-to's and lots of other good info also

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
I'm not looking for crazy power. I'm looking for reliability, a little more power maybe if the next guy wants to push it more he can. I don't wanna mod the crap out of the thing so it loses it value if you understand where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to upgrade the clutch anytime soon. The rust is gonna be my next project to take on.
The stock cam will suit your purpose fine. I understand your "while I'm in there" mentality on the subject, after all that's what started my huge engine build ;).

Its the general consensus in the TDI community that cam upgrades are far down on the list of things to do with these engines in the power department. Injector nozzles, tunes, and air mods (IC, exhaust piping, etc) are the best bang for your buck. Then you can get into turbo upgrades, and then it makes sense to look at upgraded cams.

I'm going with either Frank's (as mentioned above) stage 2 cam or a Colt stage 2 (I think that's what Kerma sells) in my build. I didn't even think about upgrading the cam until I decided to embark on this build which includes a huge turbo, low compression pistons, upgraded injection pump, etc. Take a look at my build thread for more info on that.

Another option while your in there is a reground cam. Check out Kerma's website for info on those.

Sent from my VCDS CAN Gateway

Ct-csrt

TDI
Wtb atm
Thanks guys I'm gonna looki into my options. Idk what I wanna do anymore. I noticed a 99 golf tdi with no rust. To bad it's a auto.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
First off, I think we have about as much experience building the TDI heads as anyone. We have built over 3,000 cylinder heads. I think it's close to 3,600 actually, but we lost count. Our stock build is $320 of machine work, which includes inspection, cleaning, guides, seals, valve job, head resurfacing. We also repair lifter bores and align bore cam journals when necessary. One-year, unlimited mileage warranty.

We have an AHU Stage II cam. It is 'drop-in' and we have gotten nothing but 'thumbs up'. Here is our cam warranty... "If you don't like it, send it back and we will refund your money." The number of cams sold is over 400. The number returned... ZERO!

I think you will like it, too.

Feel free to email or call

Last edited: