1999 (A4) wrecked TDI project- parts source ?'s..

shawner23

TDI
1999 Jetta, White
1999 (A4) wrecked TDI project- parts source ?\'s..

Hi- New here; long time VW guy, put myself through college fixing and selling 50's and 60's buses, now have a VW Westfalia rental business in Hawaii. Have an 87 Syncro Vanagon Double Cab having a 1.9TD being put in and recently picked up the aforementioned Jetta TDI, with the intention of running WVO and BioDiesel...

First parts I'm looking for are radiator and fan assembly; eBay has a complete fan assembly from a 2002 2.0l, is that the same one the TDI uses? Or is it the 1.8l?

Anybody have a favorite discount parts place for these kinds of parts?

It's going to be a steep learning curve, but things look good so far- for $500 I couldn't pass it up and the engine started right up with a battery charge... Thanks!

Shawn

shawner23

TDI
1999 Jetta, White
Re: 1999 (A4) wrecked TDI project- parts source ?\'s..

Indeed- but actually I'm going to give ProDiag a shot- I'm a Mac guy and can't justify a Windows machine just for VAG-COM. Palm is tolerable...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Ah.. one of you Macintrash users
JK
Seriously though... you'll nedd a vag-com or VW VAS tool to do things like set the timeing, diagnose the ABS pump and radio, talk with the airbag comptuer...

(And I really am kidding about my first statement... somedays I REALLY wish I had gotten a power book instead of this inspiron...)

-J

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Re: 1999 (A4) wrecked TDI project- parts source ?\'

Check my sig--it might help you out a bit.
Welcome to the club and good luck!
-BB

shawner23

TDI
1999 Jetta, White

... you'll nedd a vag-com or VW VAS tool to do things like set the timeing, diagnose the ABS pump and radio, talk with the airbag comptuer...

-J
Is ProDiag only a code READER- it won't manipulate any settings on the engine?. Would the OBDII readers from a FLAPS be any better, or is it VAG-COM only for altering any settings....

Shawn