Need advice on cylinder wall marks

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Wheel end can stay together. It'll make it easier if yoh undo the 3 bolts holding the ball joint to the control arm, then swinging the wheel away from the chassis, it'll pull the axle away from the transmission for better access.
Does this apply even if I don’t need access? Just need it to not be attached.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You can get the engine out without disconnecting the ball joints, but getting the axles in just the right spot when reinstalling is a challenge.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
So, an update (Should I keep going in this thread? Not sure of thread etiquette in terms of when a question leads to a big shift in the project...)

Flywheel on. Clutch on. Timing pulleys and new hardware on. Timing belt on. Cylinder head on. Front and rear seals replaced. Cam seal replaced. Hard coolant pipe removed, cleaned up, POR-15’d and seal replaced. Thermostat replaced. Oil dipstick tube replaced. Not necessarily in that order. Next up is to reassemble intake and turbo manifolds. Hoping to reinstall this weekend...

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
What about resealing your oil pan

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
What about resealing your oil pan

Thinking about it. I have the fancy correct sealant now too. If I do it, I will wait till it's in the car as I don't really have a way to get the engine up in the air easily. I don't think my crappy shed roof structure could support it.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with that is the 2 oil pan bolts on the rear main seal, with the clutch on it's a pita not to cross thread them, if it's not leaking it should be ok.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Image is upside down on my end. I rotated it, saved it. rebuilt the thumbnail, copied new Medium Image, and then edited the message. Still upside down. Oh well.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Image is upside down on my end. I rotated it, saved it. rebuilt the thumbnail, copied new Medium Image, and then edited the message. Still upside down. Oh well.
It's right side up

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Update: Engine B is now attached to the car! That wasn’t fun. New mounts all attached and torqued, exhaust attached, drive axles connected and torqued.

Heater under the tarp keeps it warm enough, but hadn’t thought of how my breath would freeze on the inside of the tarp, then the crazy wind would blow and shake the tarp creating snowfall under the tarp.

Fun times.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I had a similar thing happen in my tin roof shop...started dripping on me, but it's warm here...20s in the morning...I spent 2 winter's up in Maine, it's a different kind of cold up there...

And good job...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nice progress under the conditions!

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Still on it. Solved the inside snowing with a second layer of tarp. Everything just about buttoned up. Very nice working on the engine with no front clip. Replaced just about every seal I can find. Vacuum pump, coolant connector, coolant glow plug seal, a/c seals(system was empty).

Hoping to wrap up tomorrow.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol ....I think you need a floor ; )

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up a harbor freight 3 ton and love it...I got a dirt floor...still use it, actually just laid down some old carpet on top of the dirt...better than dirt...

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
It runs!
Got it all buttoned up. Disconnected the fuel shutoff solenoid, did the crank for a few seconds and then wait a few times to get oil everywhere again.

When I reconnected she fired right up. Wow.

But lots of smoke. I just left the 11mm pump that was on the replacement engine and reinstalled the stock injectors as I have not gotten the new 520’s tested yet. So imagine it’s over fueling.

Also a pretty damn hard shudder after about 30 seconds of running. Goes away when I tap the idle.

Haven’t driven anywhere yet.

Did I already say it smokes like crazy at idle.

Tried turning down the IQ, but being that it’s not at temp it feels like I am just shooting in the dark.

Haven’t been able to really check timing yet as I haven’t got the engine up to temp yet. A quick check cold has it spot on when it’s running smooth and all over the place when it shudders.

Seems noisier, but hood is open, cover is off, and belly pan is off, still up on ramps over plywood.

Will try to get it up to temp and mess with IQ some more. Might put the 10mm back in till I have the new nozzles tested and a tune specific for the setup.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice job!!
Probably IQ is too low causing the shudder, when you can set it to around 4.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
^ What he said^, get that IQ# up, I'd get as high as you can go, you might
need to hammer mod the pump. Too much fuel.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Checked the timing warmed up. Unbelievably perfect. Properly adjusted the injection pump and now it sounds great and is idling perfect. Going to require a hammer mod as it’s now at its minimum fueling amount and still 2.5. Haven’t test driven yet as I need to torque the injection pump sprocket and have a ton of stuff to do today for guests arriving tomorrow...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice going, keep up with the good work and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Took it for its first test drive. Running pretty great. Smoking more than usual at hard throttle, as expected. It seems to have more top end than before.

I was excited about the timing as I had timed it out of the car in the shed. Never done that before. Found TDC with a soft ended wire down in the #1 cylinder.

Glad to be 99.9% done. Kind of exhausted.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Glad to be 99.9% done. Kind of exhausted."

You deserve to be. Hammer mod the pump and get it to 4-6 and you'll be
happy, the 11mm pump is delivering more fuel, the up side is better atomisation of the amount delivered.
You got my vote for Adverse Conditions Mechanic of the Year!
No frostbite? You're a winner!

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I seem to be having coolant issues. I filled to the line, let it idle, couple of quick test drives. But now it’s way overfill, overheating, and zero heat from the vents.

How do I fix this? Maybe an air bubble somewhere? Coolant was obviously 1000% empty from everywhere.