Driver door won't lock

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The driver door on my 2013 TDI SEL won't lock with the key fob or the handle. I can pop the cover off of the door handle to use the manual lock, but that's a pain. I'm assuming that it's the door lock actuator. I know that it was a common problem on the earlier VW's. Has anyone tried to repair the part instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new one? I plan to sell the car back to VW so I really don't want to put any more money into it since I had to buy a new Adblue heater recently.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I have fixed mine, but from what I have read here the newer cars, 2012+, the actuator assemblies are glued and/or riveted together instead of screws like on mine. so you end up having to replace the actuator assy. I know not what you wanted to hear. sorry. can always hold out hope someone else will chime in and say I'm wrong.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I found a used actuator from a 2014 Passat for $50 shipped. Hopefully it holds out until the buyback. Last night my wife told me that it hasn't been locking for a few weeks. That would have been good to know.

Machster

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The driver door on my 2013 TDI SEL won't lock with the key fob or the handle. I can pop the cover off of the door handle to use the manual lock, but that's a pain. I'm assuming that it's the door lock actuator. I know that it was a common problem on the earlier VW's. Has anyone tried to repair the part instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a new one? I plan to sell the car back to VW so I really don't want to put any more money into it since I had to buy a new Adblue heater recently.
Did you replace the keyfob batteries?

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I have a similar problem, except that I can't lock the door even using the lock cylinder. If I try to lock, the rest of the doors lock, not the driver door. The led on the door flashes for about 6 times, then turns on for half a minute.

This is pretty annoying. I was hoping the manual lock actually would lock the door. Maybe some lever fell off, or something.

I am going to have to figure out how to take the inner cover off the door to see what is going on there. I'll search around...

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Thanks, I'll give that a try. As I understand it, you are drilling holes in the actuator itself? So I'm guessing you removed the actuator from the door?

I got the inner panel off, and that black port to the actuator off too. Guess I'll try removing the actuator now.

My other option is just to sell back the damn thing back to VW without telling them the door doesn't lock. I'm guessing next time I get a DEQ inspection on this car, it's going to fail... (I'm not up to date with the resolution of the settlement).

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I drilled holes through the shell of the actuator assembly, but I don't think it was necessary. Silicone spray lube comes out kinda foamy when you blast it in, and it should get where it needs to be without drilled holes.

olemiss36

TDI
03 Jetta
bumping an old thread, had the same thing and swapped it out with a new door latch assembly, but i can't for the life of me get the door trim back on to shut, the one spot that is hanging up is right at the top right corner of the drivers door by the mirror, this little thing pictured below. Any ideas? I also ended up somehow snapping a wire that goe to the trunk release button but can't for the life of me find a replacement plug for that? I guess i could always run an extension wire from where it broke in the harness but it would be easier i think to just cut all the wires into the plug and replace the plug.

Last edited: