DSG Tranny Hanging/Jerking/Smoking Under Hard Acceleration: Now Code P0544 & GP Light

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
DSG Tranny Hanging/Jerking/Smoking Under Hard Acceleration: Now Code P0544 & GP Light

Hi guys. I have a 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with the dual-clutch DSG transmission. I got it a few months ago at 68K miles, and it currently has 73K miles. This has been an ongoing problem ever since I bought it. I drive my vehicle conservatively most of the time and usually drive in manual mode, upshifting at the earliest opportunity for fuel economy.

One time I was in 2nd gear and floored it. When it reached redline, it just hanged there. I let off, waited a second, than slowly accelerated again. Then it shifted down into 3rd gear like normal. I experienced this a couple of times, which irritated me to say the least.

Another time, I was in 1st gear turning into an intersection (this was a sort of blind intersection). After I pulled out, I noticed a Prius coming over the hill, so I accelerated fairly quickly so he wouldn't have to slow down. It reved to redline and bounced off a few times, then violently lurched into second gear. By violently, I mean there was a clunking sound, the tires squealed, the vehicle jerked, and a cloud of white smoke was coming out from behind my vehicle. This also happened a few times, which concerned me much. To me, I was thinking it was perhaps the clutch or something (while praying it wasn't)... it felt like the transmission was acting up.

Finally, last week I was driving with a friend. I was in 6th gear and decided to demonstrate the kickdown button function. It went into 3rd gear, jerked a little, and simply lost power (revs quit climbing). I quickly shifted all the way back into 6th gear and noticed a WHOLE LOT of white smoke coming out from the back of my vehicle (not because I shifted back into 6th). It was thick. Then I noticed my Check Engine Light had turned on and my Glow Plug Light was flashing. I pulled over and inspected the car; no fluids were dripping, nothing smelled like it was burning, coolant level was good, engine was running fine. Afterwards, I've been taking it easy. When accelerating, it just doesn't pull with the same power like it used to (I only noticed this once when accelerating harder than usual). Maybe the car's in Limp Mode...? Except it feels like it's driving normally.

Also, all of these instances happened in Manual mode. I've never experienced this in any other drive mode. I've been researching for days and can't find anywhere of anyone else experiencing the problem I'm experiencing. I checked the engine code, which is P0544 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1. I'm taking her to the dealership tomorrow to have it replaced under warranty.

I really want to get to the bottom of this issue. I don't know if this sensor has anything to do with the previous (what seems like transmission) issues I've been dealing with, or if it's just coincidence. Just the fact that the lights came on right after the transmission acted up is puzzling to me. Last time the DSG fluid's been replaced (as far as I can tell from Carfax records) was... never. Last time the fuel filter's been replaced was around 45K miles. Based on my research and what different people are telling me, new DSG fluid might be needed but won't necessarily fix the problem. IF it is the clutch I'm feeling jerking/clunking, then I might need a new clutch... which is expensive... but how did the clutch get to the point of needing replacement at only 73K miles?? Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged and needs to be replaced? I can't tell if it's just one problem or a combination of problems... I have a feeling it's a combo since I couldn't find anyone else with quite a problem like mine.

Additionally, sometimes when driving between 5-10 mph, my revs go up and down when driving a constant speed. Other times when driving around 5 mph without touching the brake or gas pedal, the transmission feels jitterry, like it's shuddering. But as soon as I start applying a little braking, it immediately goes away. Maybe that's just normal for a dual clutch... that's what I've been thinking about a lot of the issues I've experienced but now I'm not so sure.

Thank you so much for any input you may have. I've been keeping this in for some time, but I'm letting it out hoping someone can help me here.

Diesel_Power

Hello,
We also just bought a 2013 TDI golf and I immediately had the fluid changed as it is @67K. I would definitely do that first at the dealership $450- most other tranny shops have min. experience with the DSG trans.

So far really like the Mk6 TDI Torque and Mpg are excellent.
Good luck

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
You can change the DSG fluid yourself for $70.
How so for $70? Let me know. I'm looking at $128 not including VAG-COM right now.

Here are the parts I'm looking at to change my DSG fluid:

DSG Transmission Service Kit ($80): https://www.idparts.com/dsg-service-kit-40k-p-941.html

DSG Service Tool Kit ($48): https://www.idparts.com/vw-audi-dsg-service-tool-kit-vas6262-p-5112.html

Plus the VAG-COM software for determining the fluid temp, which is $200. I need VAG-COM for changing the fuel filter anyway (at least the official approved method) so I might as well buy the software.

Also, is it required to use the hose method for filling the transmission with fluid or can I use a funnel to fill from the top where the filter comes off?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I changed the DSG fluid in mine yesterday. This kit was on sale last week, but it’s still $74. This seller has different brands of fluid for sale at the same price and it include the filter, o-ring, and crush washer. You can fill it from the top. I’ve changed it both ways and prefer the top fill. You measure what came out and put the same amount back in. The easiest way to do this is drain the DSG, start the refill one bottle at a time, and refill each empty bottle from the drain pan. It takes 4.5 bottles to refill.
This seller also has fuel filters. Their website is CascadeGerman.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DSG-Servic...Washer-FEBI-/301654593573?txnId=1587814145020

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
I changed the DSG fluid in mine yesterday. This kit was on sale last week, but it’s still $74. This seller has different brands of fluid for sale at the same price and it include the filter, o-ring, and crush washer. You can fill it from the top. I’ve changed it both ways and prefer the top fill. You measure what came out and put the same amount back in. The easiest way to do this is drain the DSG, start the refill one bottle at a time, and refill each empty bottle from the drain pan. It takes 4.5 bottles to refill.
This seller also has fuel filters. Their website is CascadeGerman.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DSG-Servic...Washer-FEBI-/301654593573?txnId=1587814145020
Thanks for the link, I do think I will buy the kit from this seller when the time comes. Did you use VAG-COM while changing your DSG fluid?

Also, correct me if my thinking is wrong, but shouldn't it be fine if I just drain the fluid then add 4 bottles and a measured 1/2 bottle for a total of 4.5 liters?

This may sound like a dumb question, but can I use any 24mm socket to remove the DSG filter cartridge or do I need to purchase this part? https://www.idparts.com/24mm-filter-wrench-dsg-cruze-gen2-p-4930.html

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Status Update

So I took her into the dealer today. They ran a diagnostic test and found the Exhaust Temperature Sensor throwing a faulty code (as I had already figured out). They ordered the part and are going to replace the sensor when they get it. Also, this sensor is covered under the TDI Emissions Extended Warranty so I don't have to pay anything, of which I'm relieved.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Thanks for the link, I do think I will buy the kit from this seller when the time comes. Did you use VAG-COM while changing your DSG fluid?
Also, correct me if my thinking is wrong, but shouldn't it be fine if I just drain the fluid then add 4 bottles and a measured 1/2 bottle for a total of 4.5 liters?
This may sound like a dumb question, but can I use any 24mm socket to remove the DSG filter cartridge or do I need to purchase this part? https://www.idparts.com/24mm-filter-wrench-dsg-cruze-gen2-p-4930.html
I did not use VCDS even though I have it. I added the same amount of fluid that I took out.
Yes, but I refilled the bottles just to make sure that it was the correct amount. If you purchase a FloTool funnel it fits the hole in the top perfectly and it has measurements on the side so you know what you’re putting back in. Walmart and other stores sell this same funnel.
https://m.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-measu-funnel/139278_0_0?aqs=

You can use any 24mm socket.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
I did not use VCDS even though I have it. I added the same amount of fluid that I took out.
Yes, but I refilled the bottles just to make sure that it was the correct amount. If you purchase a FloTool funnel it fits the hole in the top perfectly and it has measurements on the side so you know what you’re putting back in. Walmart and other stores sell this same funnel.
https://m.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-measu-funnel/139278_0_0?aqs=
You can use any 24mm socket.
Okay, makes sense. Thanks for the great link for the funnel!

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I took her in as scheduled for the sensor replacement. They told me it would take 3.5 hours including cool down, etc. But since the official time VW allots for the repair is only 45 minutes, they said I don’t qualify for a loaner. About 40 minutes later, they gave me a loaner. Apparently the sensor was in a different location than they originally thought, which now required the removal of my turbo, pushing the time to complete to 6 hours. I should be picking her up today.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, my loaner is a 2018 VW Tiguan S 4-motion with the TSI engine. I like my JSW better.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Ended up picking her up today. No codes, runs great. After parking at home, I turned her off and the engine fans were roaring. So happy she finally gets to go through a regen after about 500 miles...