DSG fluid change- How much fluid?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Doing the "top fill" method, got about 4.2 to 4.3 liters out, weighted 6 pounds, about the same as 4 liters of new fluid. Is the quantity I put in real critical? Debating if I should put in the 4 liters measured by weight, the 4.2-4.3 liters measured by volume, or the 4.5 liters the DIY guides suggest?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! The scale I used wasn't that accurate, so I'll split the differnce between the 4.2-4.3 I measured and the 4.7 recommended here and put in 4.5. That's what the DIY article at myturbodiesel.com recommends, and either way it's within the +- .2-.3 they recommend.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I thought you were supposed to just add fluid until it overflows from that little tube that goes into the drain hole, at a certain temperature.

Since that sounds extremely easy, why not just do that, and then the level will be exactly where it's supposed to be?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the factory "bottom side" method. Nothing wrong with it, but "top side" "measure and refill" method works better for me as I don't have a lift to raise the car and keep it level. Put it back together and took a test drive, ran the windows up and down and turned the steering lock to lock and the warning lights went out. Drove a couple miles and shifts better, If it doesn't show any leaks I'll put the belly pan back on tomorrow.