K&N air filter

Nomadd06

TDI
2003 Jetta
I am in need of replacing my air filter...my stock replacement is 22.00 K&N is 65.00. My question is will I really notice a.difference with my Td? Will there be any mileage gain or power? I put one in my motorcycle and got hp gain and mileage..approx 5mph...so what wa out these diesels?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I am in need of replacing my air filter...my stock replacement is 22.00 K&N is 65.00. My question is will I really notice a.difference with my Td? Will there be any mileage gain or power? I put one in my motorcycle and got hp gain and mileage..approx 5mph...so what wa out these diesels?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tdiclub:+K&N

Welcome to the tdiclub. Put it back in the box and return it to the store.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
You will notice a HUGE difference with a K&N air filter...you will ruin your MAF!!! Type in k&n air filter in the search box, you will find all you need to know about it.
Or look at the link on above post.

Last edited:

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Here's my question...

Is there a quality dry filter that doesn't need replaced basically every year?

I guess I could retrofit one of those flow meters to get the most out of the stock filter.

It is also my understanding that the principle is that the fibers vibrate blocking the dust. Something like a desktop fan where you can see right through but you can't fit anything through.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Is there a quality dry filter that doesn't need replaced basically every year? I guess I could retrofit one of those flow meters to get the most out of the stock filter.
I guess spending $12 a year is too much...

Considering the stock (Mann, Hengst, whatever) air filters are really good for something like 80,000 miles (depending on the ambient dust conditions), for what you'd spend on the air flow meters, you may just as well just replace with a stock unit every 1-1/2 to 2 years...

BTW: many people feel that the air box should never be opened unless you're replacing the filter, as the seal will have conformed itself to the box and will no longer function as well...

Yuri

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed

Do yourself a favor.... stick with stock.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is there a quality dry filter that doesn't need replaced basically every year?
Here you have to define "quality" to answer this question. AEM "DryFlow" filters are probably the best choice (that I know of) and it never has to be replaced (it can be washed) However, you have to realize that most aftermarket filters flow more air because the filter it less effectively. There is no magic in air filter design, the bigger the holes the more air flows through it. However, the bigger the holes the more fine dirt/dust also gets through. Given the same size holes, the larger the surface area the more air it will flow. The stock filter has far more surface area (many pleats) than most aftermarket filters, so it can filter better and still flow enough air to keep your turbocharger happy. Unless you install a really big aftermarket turbo, the stock CAI has more than good enough flow with excellent filtering.

Have Fun!

Don

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
So true I'm always tempted by amsoil products when I see their name somewhere.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
And some people say that advertising doesn't work...

Yuri
K&N made their reputation back when cars had lousy intakes, carburetors, and no sensors or computers of any kind. They actually worked back then. Today is another matter all together.

At least the OP asked first before buying one.