2010 Fuel economy tips

HansenTDI

TDI
10 Jetta
I have heard a lot of different things when it comes to getting better fuel economy out of a diesel. I have been a diesel person my whole life i also own a 1998 Dodge Ram cummins 12v and these new electronic engines are harder for me to understand. I average around 200 miles of travel a day:(. Which comes to around 52k with of driving miles a year so every little bit helps. Right now i am averaging 35-38 mpg because of the cold but in the summer i average around 41-46 mpg. The car is completely stock and well maintained. Thank you for all of your help.:)

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I bought my 10 JSW in February. My gasoline cars got about the same mileage no matter how I drove them, but it makes a huge difference how I drive this one.

Idle the car for a little while in the morning. I know it won't warm up at idle, but it won't use much fuel in 2-3 minutes and it helps to lubricate everything without putting a load on it. I'm sure I'll be challenged on that statement, but I've got a million miles on a Cat 3406 and all I did was change the oil regularly and warm her up for a few minutes before pulling a load. I believe it helps, even if I'm nuts.

I have a manual, so I drop it out of gear every decline - it helps.

Drive about 100 yards ahead - not that you can ignore the guy 30 feet in front of you - but watch what you're heading into - the green turned yellow, the brake lights suddenly coming on, a line of merging vehicles... time to get that right foot off the pedal and coast. Every time you touch the brake you are wasting the fuel that got you to speed.

I can get from zero to sixty in 10 seconds or 20 seconds or 30 seconds. 4000 rpm costs a lot more than 2000 rpm. Your choice.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I have heard a lot of different things when it comes to getting better fuel economy out of a diesel. I have been a diesel person my whole life i also own a 1998 Dodge Ram cummins 12v and these new electronic engines are harder for me to understand. I average around 200 miles of travel a day:(. Which comes to around 52k with of driving miles a year so every little bit helps. Right now i am averaging 35-38 mpg because of the cold but in the summer i average around 41-46 mpg. The car is completely stock and well maintained. Thank you for all of your help.:)
Hit these links on this web site.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48940

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

You do not say 6 speed DSG or 6 speed manual. While both sport similar if not exact EPA ratings (30/42 epa), the real world indicates the mpg range (among other things) is better with the 6 speed manual.

So the short hand (once you read the above links) and the fact you have been driving diesels are max torque (236# ft) and efficiency are both between 1,750 rpm to 2,500 rpm. Again that is both max torque and "coincidently" most efficient TDI operation.

So if you want to increase mpg stay towards the lower rpm (1,750). If you are ok with giving up slight mpg and still be in the max efficiency range, then toward higher rpm (2,500) The over all sweet spots are between 1,750 to 3,500 rpm. Of course whatever rpm you chose make sure you are ok with the speeds those rpm convert to. I basically do neither as a policy, as this is still in break in mode from 30,000 to 60,000 miles. So I am just fine with a DSG range of 40-47 mpg. So that I am not vague, I run the DSG in the sweet spot range of 1,750 to 3,500 rpm.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I have a manual, so I drop it out of gear every decline - it helps.
Actually it can hurt not help. If you are in gear and going fast enough that the engine is going faster than idle speed, you are no fuel, the momentum of the car will keep the engine turning. If you are out of gear, you are using fuel to keep the engine running. :)

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
shortly after getting into your car and driving it.. watch your fuel economy (1) meter when you're at a traffic stop. You will see how much idling hurts your fuel economy. By gliding out of gear, you are essentially idling the vehicle during that time.

Conversely, watch how much your FE goes up when you glide in gear. It is often the difference between 39 mpg and 42 mpg on my trip to work.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
5 ounces of Power service in the silver bottle will more than pay for it's self at every fill.

These cars really like the extra cetane

ColdStartTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Run tire pressure 80% of max. I also began to use Amsoil and noticed some increase in mileage as well as less engine noise from lifters. I have it in both cars as well as the tranny. Stuff works great in all my cars. Cold kills my mileage.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Run tire pressure 80% of max. ..
Remember that the recommended (VW's Recommended) air pressure as indicated on the sticker or in the owner's manual, is the only recommended tyre pressure. It has been determined by real test under many conditions and has been proven to be safe.

References:

http://www.tiresafety.com/

This is sponsored by a tyre manufacturer Bridgstone - Firestone and instructs the reader to check the owner's manual for the correct tyre pressure.

Here is another from the Goodyear site.

Check Your Air Pressure
Keep your tires properly inflated and you could improve gas mileage by more than $1.50 every time you fill your tank. The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle is located on a sticker inside your driver-side door or noted in your owner's manual.

You might also try the US Department of transportation.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...intenances.htm

They say:

You can find the correct tire pressure for your tow vehicle in the ownerís manual or on the tire information placard.

http://www.safercar.gov:

The vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressure is the proper psi when a tire is cold. The term cold does not relate to the outside temperature. Rather, a cold tire is one that has not been driven on for at least three hours. When you drive, your tires get warmer, causing the air pressure within them to increase. Your tires can get warm after just 1 mile of driving.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Running more tire pressure is safe as long as you do not exceed the max PSI rating that on the side wall.

The manufacturers recommended pressure is just that, it's what they recommend. It is compromise to provide the best mix of ride, handling, tire life and MPG.

Many here that have safely exceeded the manufacturers recommended PSI have experienced longer tire life and better MPG.