MN Chat Thread

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
huge progress...much praise to deafbug....my tdi is up and running...he is a first class diligent thorough mechanic..we had a great day at my place finishing up the timing belt. and installing the big roller, tensioner. also did the water pump and surpentine belt while things were accessable..

I have resotered over eight old school mopar muscle machines over the years and seeing deafbug perform these repairs with tool that I can't even pronounce was incredible....he has a ton of special tools...what is most impressive is that he is mobile and very adaptive to his suroundings....he leaves nothing for chance...always having extra bolts , nuts , screws along..

in the past few weeks this club has been extremely valueable to me. I am very thankful. should anyone need a warm shop w infloor heat, a hoist etc drop me a line....I'm about an hour north of the twin cities..happy to host a tdi pot luck someday over the cold winter....

thanks again to deafbug...

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
oil change/tire rotation

Hi all,

I am getting ready to do the 10K service interval as the wife and I just got back from a 3300 mile road trip. While I'd like to do it this weekend, I'd also like someplace warmer than my 1 insulated wall garage. Plus, since I'm still new at this and don't have much in the way of tools yet, I wouldn't mind a helping hand. My wife's a good cook and I know how to buy beer (& drink it too :D ), so I can bring more than just my hapless self and the car, of course.

Otherwise, it'll be me in my garage sometime this weekend trying to keep my fingers warm. If someone wants to join in there, I'd graciously accept that too.

So shoot me PM if your interested - doesn't have to be this weekend, could be an evening too.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
socks - what exacty are you going to do? i think all you really need is to do the oil change and rotate the tires. i still have yet to make it down to my parents to pick up my stanadyne and screwdriver, but will be coming down sometime in the next week or two.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
If Burpod and Socks want to meet in St Cloud, I can move the Jetta and turn up the heat in the garage, I don't have ramps, but have a topsider if you want to use it.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
I about an hour North of the Twin Cities and about an Hour east of St. Cloud. My shop is always warm and have a small hoist. You are welcome to use the shop. I have no metric tools and no Idea what to do. But hell if you are bringing food and beer you can stop on by anytime. I think Deafbug is busy this weekend otherwise he and I were going to service the transmission on my Jetta.

socks

TDI
The oil change and tire rotation are the necessary items. I'd like to do the topside oil change and then pull the plug on the oil pan if I get less than 4 liters of used oil out again. I wouldn't mind doing an underside inspection either - not that I know what I'm looking for. My arm isn't calibrated to the 89 N*m for the torque on lugnuts, nor do I have a torque wrench. I don't want to over tighten and warp the brakes, but I've also experienced the wobbly tire and don't want that to happen either. That happened on the Subaru when belonged to my brother. We were on the interstate, shaking like crazy, :eek: pulled over and slowed down. Walked around the car and saw two bolts had snapped off on one wheel with the other 3 lugnuts loose. We were very close to seeing the wheel come off and dragging the axel on the ground. Instead we limped to the nearest town about 10 miles away and then were towed back to a dealer. :eek: And that was only a small part of the saga.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
You can come over my place, got all the tools and all (minus the lift) Unfortunely, portable propane heater is all I got. It takes about 15 minutes to warm it up to comfy zone. email me if intersted. Yes I am busy this weekend but there are gaps in my schedule, you can take them.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
MNmiser said:
I about an hour North of the Twin Cities and about an Hour east of St. Cloud. My shop is always warm and have a small hoist. You are welcome to use the shop. I have no metric tools and no Idea what to do. But hell if you are bringing food and beer you can stop on by anytime. I think Deafbug is busy this weekend otherwise he and I were going to service the transmission on my Jetta.

Very tempting since the weather has gotten colder today, I have to do front wheel bearings soon. MNmiser what kind of transmission do you have? I just replace the ATF in my Jetta and if need help sevicing an automatic I can lend a hand. I also have a Vag-com.

Ron

Last edited:

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
I have an auto trans. Deafbug and I plan on changing it at some point. I guess we have to check levels when the trans is cold.

Might you need the shop to do the bearings?

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
sounds like we need to plan a TDI service day in the shop...

How about this Sat. Who is up for it? I have room for 2-3 cars. 8:00am start. We can roll them in bang them out and help each other out. I know deafbug is busy but I dont think he will feel too bad will ya??

Just bring some donuts, food and a hot wife or gf if you have one. lol...

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking on the weekend of the Dec 9. My wife is doing her cookie baking session this weekend and I have to watch the kids. She's been planning this thing over 3 months. If we do it on the Dec 9th I could bring those homemade cookies.

Changing and checking the ATF is pretty easy. The car hoist would make it easier. Also I have a metalnerd VW specific brake tools if some need to do brakes.

Last edited:

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Sounds Great, the 9th it is can everyone wait until then? lets start early around 8:00am, hopefully deafbug will be able to make it.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
I have a timing belt on the 9th. I emailed the guy if he is willing to drive another hour as he is from southern MN. I also got a request from another guy and I told him that there is a mini GTG so he wants to attend then he needs to order the kit soon. Otherwise I will be there, one way or the other.

Come guys, I like to see like at least 10 of us there. It is a very spacious garage.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
hello fellow minnesnowtians!
i have been on this forum for a while but have never said hi. I use this place for a reference more than anything, and its been nice.
well, today i just bought my first vw diesel, (have a freind with a 98tdi jetta that has been around for a while but never one of my own) a 1980 caddy 5spd NA. soon I will be doing a turbo upgrade (maybe spring) from the jetta 1.6td to give me a little more than the 52hp. this vehicle will be used as a daily driving, racecar tire hauling, biodiesel testing, motorcycle carrying style machine until the day it dies.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i'd like to try and make it - maybe do my 30k oil change + pd134 oil cooler upgrade...

socks

TDI
It's great something's snowballed for the 9th. I'm currently setup with Deafbug to do work this weekend, but would wait for the 9th if time isn't an issue. I can be there early, but my wife will have the Jetta and wouldn't get there until 11 am or later as she'll be driving back from International Falls.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Mmmm...scalding hot oil change. Is there any other kind?

So thus far we have:
MNmiser
DeafBug
socks
tango 28
burpod (maybe)
me
spamjohnson (maybe)
Farmboy

I'll keep updating this list....

Last edited:

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
id get what you can done with Deafbug this weekend.

Lets have everyone that planson showing up list out a) if they are comming and b) what they want to do to their car if anything. I thinking we can get 2-3 cars in easy to work on. Sorry the hemicuda stays inside. I have onyl one hoist and one floor jack. Bring your own tools, parts etc. we can pour the used oil on my neighbors new concrete driveway inexchange from his dog pooping on my lawn....

Shoudl be a great day... knowledge is power and 14 heads are better that 1...

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Ok, PM me the directions, I might wander over that way and show you want can be done with A4's.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
MNmiser said:
we can pour the used oil on my neighbors new concrete driveway inexchange from his dog pooping on my lawn....
:D:D:D
Want my Saint Bernard's

Well, I still haven't heard back from the guy that is in southern MN but I did hear back from the other guy that is local to North Branch. He doesn't want to social but will drop the car off as he has to attend to a b-day party. So I could do his car last. So that still doesn't give me a good time frame of when I will be there.

Socks, give your wife the Subaru tell her that there is a chance of snow and you need the all wheel drive. :rolleyes:

socks

TDI
Thanks to DeafBug with the oil change, tire rotation and bottom side inspection. So the VW can go to the Falls with my wife and she won't have to worry about what time she's coming back on Sat. I still plan on attending Sat, I just won't need any wrench time for the Jetta.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
I heard back from the two guys. I will be doing two timing belts this Saturday.

Other work needed, one car needs auto tranny flush and brake fluid flush. One guy will try to make it between his schedule to do the brakes and possible fluid flush. So when he arrives I have to stop and take care of him so he can get back on the road.

Any other work?

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
anyone who wants to come for the GTG/ repair seminar PM me for directions.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
They sent me the wrong bearings, I might not get them in time for this GTG, but I still planning on coming.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Parts counter hours at metro dealers on Saturday:

Denny Hecker: until 1pm
Schmelz: until 2pm
Westside: until 4:30

Reason for mentioning this is the experience I had at the Lake Mills GTG back in February. Brad, I'm sure you remember....

dahahn187

TDI
None
Hey guys, I guess this is my first post, so the first order of business would be to say hello, and its nice to be here.

I wondered into the MN room because I've got a 1984 Jetta Diesel down here in the cities. It needs a little bit of work (mostly body-wise) and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere locally that did good work for a good price. The things that need done:
-Driver's side window doesnt work.
-Needs a new windshield
-Parking break doesnt work
-Passenger door handle stopped working, has to open from inside.
-Possible rust work on drivers side rear quarter panel.

Im surprised at how well the engine/clutch runs at 220K. So far I must say that I love this car, though it is not a TDI.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Looks like we have a great group comming for the Sat. GTG. 8:00am- 1-2pm Im am providing the warm shop. Bring your own parts, tools, food, chair etc. Should be able to work on 2-3 cars throughout the day. Deafbug will be putting on his timming belt seminar twice. Other scheduled tasks are trans, brake and fluid flushes etc. Tire rotation as well. Looking forward to the day.