2012 Golf Wagon - or what is this rig???

Jaxon

Hi all,

I just purchased a salvaged 2012 Golf TDI highline wagon as a project. But now, I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. The car is very lightly damaged, but it seems to be kind of an oddball? When I bought it, the salvage company had it listed as a Jetta. The car is labelled as a Golf. Yet when I go to search for parts via the vin, again it comes up as a Jetta and tells me parts from a MKV will work. I have to source a bunch of parts, or find a parts car, so I want to make sure I know what exactly I need to buy. Can anyone tell me what vehicles (aside from another 2012 Golf/Jetta wagon) would be the same? Is just a regular 2012 Golf hatchback the same car? The VIN is 3VWPL7AJ4CM639924.

I'm excited to get it on the road - it's a nice upgrade from my 2004 Jetta TDI wagon with 360K.

The parts I need are RH fender, RH front door, RH roof air bag, RH front seat air bag, air bag modules & headliner.

Thanks for your help!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That car was sold as a Jetta Sportwagen in the US, Golf Sportwagen in Canada. It appears in Partslink (VW's parts program) as a Jetta Variant. Not sure why that is, maybe all Canadian Golf Sportwagens do. As long as you use the VIN to order parts you won't have a problem.

Jaxon

Interesting, thank you.

So for the parts I'm looking for, will a regular 2012 Golf be the same or? I can't exactly drive the car to the dealership to compare.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
2012 Golf Sportwagen most likely will be. If you're looking at body parts the front clip of a Golf hatchback may be the same, but I would stick with GSW parts to be safe.

Jaxon

That might be a challenge... I'll have to try to find a gas job for a parts car I guess. I didn't realize this would be this much of a challenge!

Jaxon

So let's say I need something like brakes from the local parts store. Am I ordering for a 2012 Golf or 2012 Jetta? Or is the chassis the same between the two, as in prior years?

When I search for parts by vin, it comes up that MKV doors and other pieces are the same. How can that be? I was a GM parts manager for a few years so I know my way around parts lookup, but this has me right confused.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jetta Sedan and Golf/Jetta Sportwagen are different. Aside from the drivetrain, very little in common. Suspension, brakes, steering are all different. And some things for Golf Hatch will be different too, such as rear brake rotors or springs.

The '12 Golf or Jetta Sportwagen is a minor update to the MKV car. The front clip was the same from '06-'09, but changed in '10. I don't know if doors are different or not. Dash, gauges, electronics are different from the MKV. If I were looking for doors, for example, I'd look for a '10 or later Sportwagen. Gas or Diesel.

Jaxon

Jetta Sedan and Golf/Jetta Sportwagen are different. Aside from the drivetrain, very little in common. Suspension, brakes, steering are all different. And some things for Golf Hatch will be different too, such as rear brake rotors or springs.

The '12 Golf or Jetta Sportwagen is a minor update to the MKV car. The front clip was the same from '06-'09, but changed in '10. I don't know if doors are different or not. Dash, gauges, electronics are different from the MKV. If I were looking for doors, for example, I'd look for a '10 or later Sportwagen. Gas or Diesel.
Oh man, this sounds like it's going to be a nightmare to get parts for. What was I thinking? I had no idea. Thank you for your help.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Shouldn't be that bad. There are a fair number of Sportwagens running around.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Went to reply to your PM but it's all been covered here already.

All I can add at the moment, is go to car-part.com and plug in the VIN then see what parts are available nearby. That should streamline things as you don't need a million little parts.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Not a big deal to find parts. I’m not 100% sure but I think the following applies:
Chassis is basically a MK V Golf/Jetta
2009 sportwagen was first year, and had MK V electronics plus a very slightly different engine and emissions hardware from the 2010 on. 2010 to 2014 the front fenders and hood were altered to look like the MK VI Golf. 2015 on is MKVII and different chassis and engine.
2010-2014
Electronics were basically MK VI Golf. Front fenders may be Wagon specific since they match up to the MKV chassis but the rest of the front clip is MK VI Golf
Springs/shocks might be Wagon specific
Brakes are bigger than most sedans but might be same as GTI
Wheels have to be 16 in to fit over the larger brakes but Audi/VW 5 bolt 112 mm fit, ie any VW later than a MK IV and most Audi’s. The MK IV is 5 bolt 100 mm so doesn’t fit as you probably know.
Front doors are Mk V Jetta/Golf 4 dr or maybe MKVI Golf fits as well
From the A Pillar back it is pretty much a MK V Golf/Jetta except where it is a wagen LOL. Ie Back doors and hatch plus sunroof.
Sunroof is probably the same as an Audi can’t remember which one. Keep it lubed or big trouble.
Airbags... well you will be the expert! I’m betting MK VI Golf for the ones you need.

Where in Sask are you that wagons are unusual? I had an errant PU driver take out my LF fender last year and I think the body shop reported the fender was $200 something, aftermarket but it fit ok. My local wrecker has at least one Wagon (Maybe they should have used that fender?)and there were probably 20 local a couple years ago, more than half were TDI.

Jaxon

Thanks all... I'm not sure if I'm more or less confused now! Here I thought I was getting 2012 Golf... LOL.

That would explain why when I put the VIN in on Car-part it was coming up with a bunch of MK5 parts... because that's what it is. Once I have it on the road I'll match it up next to a 2012 regular Golf and see what I can figure out. I'm just going to be patient and try to find another Sportwagen for parts to hopefully make everything easier.

I'm up in Prince Albert, but it seems that wagons are rare everywhere here. I watch for them since I was shopping to buy my 04, and even those are few and far between.