1998 Jetta TDI w/445,000 miles: Newport News, VA

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

****SOLD****

My "Stealth TDI" served me well for 16 years and 445,000 miles. I'm the original owner and the car was my daily driver until 2014 when I bought a new car and decided to assess the Mk3 for rehabilitation. The Mk3 sat for most of that time, being started and driven from time to time. My reason for selling is simple: Rust in key areas such as the fuel filler area and the structural areas of the front strut towers. I'd still be driving it if not for the rust in critical areas.

I discovered the rust in the front strut towers while changing the water pump, drive belts, and timing belt. I parked the car a week later. There's also rust in the fuel filler area, hood (chips and peeled paint), and surface rust on the driveline and brakes. The car will start without hesitation and is drivable, but I don't recommend that anyone drive it without understanding that it desperately needs tires and an alignment. It also does not have a valid inspection, so driving it is even more unwise.

I'm selling the car whole, but I think it's more of a parts car at this point. I have plenty of spare parts to sell, too. I'll list them in a separate thread after I research some specifics about the parts (I need to visit them in storage unit). Here's the info about the car:

1998 Jetta TDI - $1000

Classic Green paint is 6/10 except on the hood, which is about 1/10.
Structural issues, rust in the strut towers and fuel filler area.
Needs tires, alignment, and brakes.
Hood has peeled paint and rock chips.
Front bumper is chipped-up.
Engine is original except for the following:
  • K03/K04 hybrid turbo
  • Rocketchip Stage 2 ECU
  • Fuel Cooler
  • Passat PD130 Intake Manifold
  • Stainless downpipe of forgotten origin,
  • Colt Stage II camshaft (not a lot of these made)
  • PP520 injectors
  • Snow water-meth injection

Suspension is Koni STR with H&R OE Sport springs and Shine rear sway bar.
Wheels are 14x6" BMW RZ Crosslace with bald 195/60R14 tires.
The transmission is original and has a Peloquin differential and a Sachs VR6 clutch.
The battery is about a year old and spends its days on a trickle charger.
One-off gauge panel included (See photo below).

Most of the info at http://www.stealthtdi.com/Mk3-SpecSheet.pdf is still accurate. Communications and subwoofer equipment is removed. I WILL NOT PART-OUT THIS CAR. The buyer may take the entire car. It will drive onto your trailer or dolly. I just wouldn't want to drive it far on its bald tires and no alignment.

I have a lot of spare parts for this car. I just don't want to put the time and money into fixing it with its rusted shell. :(

Here are some photos of how the car sits at this point:

Front strut towers...

Fuel filler area with preservative applied...

Fuel filler area...

Rockers...

Feel free to PM offers.

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks! I've had a couple of nibbles. Looks like the car may sell soon. FWIW, I did visit a body shop for an estimate a few days ago. The cost to repair was quoted at $10k, which doesn't include the other items that need replacing. I'm glad to see that pieces of the car may live on in another body.

I'll create my parts F/S thread soon, probably Sunday evening.