Metal skid plates

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
Just looking for some input about skid plates.

My plastic skid plate is falling apart and the left skirt that it attaches to is broken and is going to fall off soon. Now that winter is officially here in Atlantic Canada I don't want to risk damaging anything.

I have seen several sites that have advertised skid plates for my Jetta but I did notice that once installed they didn't use the original side skirts.

My question is, are the side skirts necessary? Can I do without them? Or should I spend the money and get the skid plate that can attach to the original side skirts?

Here are a few of the skid plates I have looked at. BTW my Jetta is auto.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/ES9763_ES260077/ES9763/

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=Panzer+Skid+Plates

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
SEE THIS :

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=303527

I drove it 40 miles back to USA and VW dealer.

W/O the plate it would have been a total loss.
This is from 12/24/10 so still new in my mind

For your Question- about the side plates

Get a plate! Dont worry about side plates as long as you have the plastic ones in fair shape.
Its only me but I think you need side covers. Plastic or Metal but I think it needs the cover for the dirt.

The METAL side plates cost almost the same as new PLASTIC ones at the VW dealer. About $45 each.
Now in Mexico the OEM plastic are only $15 each.

The metal side one would not have done me any good. In fact they may have caused more damaged in my event!
( Just my point of view)

Don't you have some Mexican friends up there in Canada that can bring you a plastic side cover back then they return from Christmas??? Lots of Mexicans here in Tijuana this week from Canada!

Anyways the Dieselgeek plate did a good job and I still can drive the car.

Last edited:

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
WOW! that plate took one hell of a beating!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is traveling to Mexico so I'm probably paying around $70 for new plastic skirts(Canadian price mark up). With all the salt they use on the roads I should keep them.

I'm sold on getting one!

glad to see that your son wasn't too banged up.

Thanks

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
I bought my bash plate from these people http://www.evolutionimport.com/Volkswagen_Skid_Plates_s/17.htm they are in Canada so you don't get caught by UPS for "brokerage" fees etc. and they are nice people to deal with. Fitting is fairly easy as well. The plate has already accumulated several scrapes since my car is lowered somewhat, and given the amount of debris on roads here in Canada I think it is money well spent. I would buy the side skirts though. You want to minimise the amount of salty crud sprayed inside the engine bay and they will help keep it out.

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! My wife was asking me earlier today about a Canadian company that might carry these. I got nailed with duty on my last purchase from ID parts.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is also a genuine Volkswagen steel skidplate you can purchase through your local VW dealer. You may have to spoon-feed them all the part numbers, though.

You need the side skirts to protect things like the belt and pulleys, as well as the fan controller on the other side. Also make sure your fender liners are intact and attached properly.

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
There is also a genuine Volkswagen steel skidplate you can purchase through your local VW dealer.
I hate to think how much that would cost!! Its something to look into.

Evolution import's skid plate (aluminum) and new side skirts will run me about $390 taxes and shipping included. It also has the oil drain hole which is pretty convenient.

Do you think that the VW one would be more or less?

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to get one, and I know of another member from Sundre that wants one...wondering if a group buy is possible here!?
Don't know how that would work. East and West. If I was in your area I think it would be something to look into but I'm thinking that it would be a logistical nightmare :cool:

You should see if there is any other members who want to order from your area and see if they will ship to a local auto club. Then again they may not do bulk discounts.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I got the plate from Evolution ,they were fine to deal with and you don't need to do the cross border thing which I don't like

drive the car up on some 4x4 woodblocks, a ratchet driver,an extension , I think a 19mm socket and it took <2hrs very easy

http://www.evolutionimport.com/Volkswagen_Skid_Plates_s/17.htm

if you still got the pieces of the side skirts I am betting you could mend them well enough with 2-part epoxy and some fibre glass cloth which is how I fix my plastic thule box and I am betting once you have the bottom panel replaced with a metal one the side skirts won't take as much weight or abuse

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Group buys.

Don't know how that would work. East and West. If I was in your area I think it would be something to look into but I'm thinking that it would be a logistical nightmare :cool:
You should see if there is any other members who want to order from your area and see if they will ship to a local auto club. Then again they may not do bulk discounts.
I've seen group buys for the frostheater from MD USA...I'll look into it...I'm thinking the shipping will be the diff in the order price.

Last edited:

David Kuhnert

TDI
2000 Jetta
Skid Plate

Do your price check, then do it. I found that I needed it in Alberta. Not much snow removal. The residential roads the worst, the center of the track would build up, freeze and take out oilpans by the frozen ice chunks adhered to the center rib. I did get side panels put on as the plastic parts were in pieces. Never looked back. A lot of peace of mind. I bought the plate made on Vancouver Island.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
There is also a genuine Volkswagen steel skidplate you can purchase through your local VW dealer. You may have to spoon-feed them all the part numbers, though.

You need the side skirts to protect things like the belt and pulleys, as well as the fan controller on the other side. Also make sure your fender liners are intact and attached properly.
This must be the same one DieselGeek sold a while back. I have it (and the modified side skirts, which you could do) and it is great! The only thing I do not like about it is that it is heavy--it weighs 36 pounds, which makes it more of an effort to install every time you have to remove it for service. In 2004 I think I paid close to $300 for it.

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I only take those off for timing belts, or if something needs to be gotten from below. But they are also not bad to R&R anyways when you have the car over your head on a lift. I know, I am spoiled. :eek:

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I am going to get one, and I know of another member from Sundre that wants one...wondering if a group buy is possible here!?
Look into shipping to a Montana border town. I use Montana Shipping Outlet in Eureka because I am in Fernie quite often. They are also in Sweetgrass and there is someone comparable south of Cardston.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Great! My wife was asking me earlier today about a Canadian company that might carry these. I got nailed with duty on my last purchase from ID parts.

Thanks
Car parts are supposed to be duty free. UPS, Fedex etc will charge outrageous fees for "brokerage". I decline to use any of them across the border. USPS/Canada Post only charges $5/item, but not many vendors will use USPS. I had a $150 item disappear from the US postal system.

BTW, Frostheater will ship by post, at least they did when I bought mine.