10,000 mile service, without going broke

vinvwtdi

TDI
2003 Jetta, Platinum Grey/Grey Leather
Hello Everyone. This is my first post to the TDI club, although I've been a reader for a while. Here is my question. I am a resident of the SF Bay area, and I'm in need of my 10k mile service. This is my second TDI I've owned, and expensive service is something I'm used to, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good location in the area that might be a bit on the cheaper side. The dealership I bought the car from usually charges upwards of $80 just for an oil change, so I'm assuming the 10k will cost me well over $100. Being a TDI owner, I'm obviously not afraid to drive, so any recommendations in the area would be great. Something VW certified, knowledgeable in TDIs, and not a total rip. Thanks everyone! and happy easter!

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
why do you need service for 10000miles. you have change your oil at 5000miles already. just filled up the tank and drive and enjoy your tdi.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
If I recall, you will need a new oil filter and an oil change.
You should do this yourself to allow for some quality bonding time with your car. Oil filters can be had on eBay for about $7 when purchased in quantities of 5 or more. Remember to use the proper oil for your TDI engine. Many people have recommended Mobil Delvac($25/4 liters), but there are other suitable oils. Just make sure the oil meets the specs outlined in your owners manual.

You should also drain the water from your fuel filter, but every body I've ever talked to says this is not necessary (you'll end up replacing the fuel filter at 15 or 20K).

Other than that I think you need to rotate your tires front to back. This is a good opportunity to practice using your car jack so you'll be better prepared when/if you every get a flat on the side of 880 in the middle of the night.

If you don't want to do this yourself I imagine any tire place will rotate your tires for a very minimal fee.

Good luck and don't be afraid to get your hands a bit dirty.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Yes you do need to change your oil at 10,000. Slap on a new oil filter, sump the fuel filter, and rotate your tires if you can. That's it for the 10,000 mile service.

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Welcome to the Club!
The Bay area seems to have a very strong TDIClub fellowship. Seems like they're always having a GTG (Get-ToGether). Perhaps someone close-by will chime and can walk you through the 10K service. It really is quite easy, especially with a topside oil vacuum.
If no one chimes in then introduce yourself on one of their threads in the West Coast forum.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
vinvwtdi: Welcome! All you need for the 10,000 mile service is an oil change. You can do that yourself, or you can attend the timing belt GTG on May 1st. We can change your oil there, if you provide the oil and oil filter. If you're interested, signup on the May 1st Timing Belt GTG thread. Also, join us for lunch at In/Out when you have a chance. Keep watching the long In/Out lunch thread for details.

Dan

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Like almost everyone else said, there's no reason to overpay for an oil change. Your only expense should be (at least) 5 quarts of good quality, full synthetic oil and a cartridge oil filter. You can either do it the traditional way, or suck it out, either way, it's pretty easy and you don't have to pay the labor. Like Dlai said, just go to the early May gtg and you'll get plenty of help changing your oil.