www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 12th, 2018, 11:02   #1
k98shooter

Default Supporting the engine for timing belt job

Good afternoon, my car is approaching 120k and I have all parts to start TB job (except of the tools, which I am going to rent). I don't have a hoist to support the engine from above while unbolting the engine support. I am wondering if jacking up the engine little bit by oil pan would suffice? I've replaced torn engine supports this way, using a piece of 2x6 under oil pan to evenly spread load. Thank you.
k98shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:31   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

That's fine, as long as you are properly supporting and balancing the engine on the pan. a 2x6 laid flat works perfect.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:45   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

There's no need to mess with the motor mount. Just get a new tensioner stud and remove the old one to replace the tensioner. Easier, faster, safer. This method is mentioned in most all of the write-ups.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:31   #4
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
There's no need to mess with the motor mount. Just get a new tensioner stud and remove the old one to replace the tensioner. Easier, faster, safer. This method is mentioned in most all of the write-ups.
Agreed.

Scroll down to the Pro Method.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/products/...tta-beetle-tdi

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 16:41   #5
k98shooter

Good evening! it's been a while and my car is way beyond 120K and rented Metalnerd tool kit was sitting around for several days, so I decided to get things going. Everything is out, including the water pump. Tensioner removal pro method worked fine, without need of removing engine mount. I was able to take off the old TB only after removing both small and one large roller. have no idea how I am gonna put new one back..
I am not sure which one is radiator lower hose, I was about to undo it to drain remaining old coolant, but I was am not sure if it is radiator or intecooler hose. (approx. 3 inch diameter hose on passenger side).

Now the major concern... I am not entirely sure I secured HPFP sprocket properly as it appeared to move after I removed old bolts (with pin in place). I took a pic while the old TB was still on and after belt removal. Camshaft sprocket seems to be fine with pin all the way in place.

Your help and advise, as always much appreciated!
BTW, old tensioner and roller bearings feel like new, without any play or grinding. So are both belts, no cracks etc.

k98shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 19:53   #6
travis45
Veteran Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the timing on the fuel pump isn't essential. The thing you need perfect is cam and tensioner. Rotate by hand, check, rotate by hand check again. Make sure everything is torqued properly. I kind of think the recommend +90 etc is a bit overkill.

Whatcha this video, it is a big help!

https://youtu.be/fAi667H7M2Y
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD.
travis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 07:53   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

The CP4 hpfp doesn't require timing so much as it does clocking so that the pressure spikes correspond with injection events. Unless the hpfp is getting replaced, there's no need to mess with the sprocket. It should get pinned to maintain the proper clocking though.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote