www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 21st, 2012, 19:02   #1
Lucihula

Default Why is my car jerking?

So I've had my 2012 jetta sportwagen for a little over a month now and twice I've noticed when I first start up the car and drive it jerks forward at low speeds. Anyone know why it's doing this? The first time was last week at around 8 a.m. it was about 57 degrees outside and today it was around 3 p.m. and it was 77 degrees outside and I was going about 25. It's my first diesel and wondering if it'd normal.
Lucihula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 19:12   #2
amstel78
Veteran Member

DSG? Going up hill in a low gear? You need to give us a bit more details. The jerking or surging could result from a multitude of different situations.

Gone but not forgotten: 2005 E46 M3 | 2006 Evo IX MR | 1985 W123 300D | 2012 Golf TDI
amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 19:31   #3
OilBurningBrit
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mpg

^^ Agreed a little more detail would be helpful.

That said, I have a 2012 JSW with the DSG, and had an awful problem with it starting about 3-4 weeks after I got it, and lasting for about 4 weeks until I took it to the dealership.

My scenario was after a cold start I would drive through the parking lot at work at about 5-7mph with constant accelerator position, and the car would start to buck until I got completely off the accelerator, came to a stop, then started again. This happened about 50-75% of the time, and would often recur after the stop/start routine. It didn't feel like an engine problem to me, though I couldn't say for sure. During this time the weather was moderate - 70ish degrees.

When I took it to the dealership and described the problem, the tech said the best thing for him to do was reset the gearbox (no software update was applicable to my vehicle). He did this and I haven't had any problems since.
OilBurningBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 20:40   #4
Lucihula

Oh sorry yes it is a DSG and no on the going up hill. It has been flat land. I'm in Southern CA so I don't think the weather should be a problem it was 77 degrees today. If i keep my foot on the gas and keep at the low speed it continues to jerk until I let go of the gas. So strange might need to take it in blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
DSG? Going up hill in a low gear? You need to give us a bit more details. The jerking or surging could result from a multitude of different situations.
Old March 21st, 2012, 20:47   #5
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Mine does it since new. Dealer did nothing. Pop it into sport mode for the first couple of minutes if it bothers you.

Interesting that it didn't do it much over the winter, but came back as soon as it warmed up in the last few weeks. I just give it some juice and it's gone.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |

Last edited by TDiSkater; March 21st, 2012 at 20:50.
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 23:57   #6
superbutta808

my 2011 Golf 6MT does the same thing in 1st gear from a standstill, usually when cold. Totally intermittent, totally unpredictable. It also bucks in third under mild acceleration. Again, totally intermittent and totally unpredictable. Dealer says no codes have been thrown and the computer is upto date. ***?!?!

This damn engine has so many sensors and power output is basically 100% computer controlled...I can't effectively troubleshoot the problem. I don't feel confident that this motor will last as long as my 94' toyota. It's too over engineered for it's own good.

Feels like a fuel control problem. I'm pissed!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:51   #7
Vidgamer
Veteran Member

I had it do this yesterday. My guess is that it's the DSG as it felt like when I'm driving manual and it doesn't have enough fuel and "lugs" the engine. It seemed to be better about it since the DSG update, but now I'm not sure!

Note that we've only noticed it going slow around a corner, I guess.
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:50   #8
sledstorm1
Veteran Member

My car is also a 6mt. And it jurks every morning going to work. I have heard it an emissions thing. The exhaust valve is cycling to create back pressure to make the emissions components in the exhaust heat up faster. A friend of mine with a 09 Jetta had a update flashed to his ecu that helped with this. I don't know if there is an update for our cars.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
sledstorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:05   #9
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbutta808 View Post
my 2011 Golf 6MT does the same thing in 1st gear from a standstill, usually when cold. Totally intermittent, totally unpredictable. It also bucks in third under mild acceleration. Again, totally intermittent and totally unpredictable. Dealer says no codes have been thrown and the computer is upto date. ***?!?!

This damn engine has so many sensors and power output is basically 100% computer controlled...I can't effectively troubleshoot the problem. I don't feel confident that this motor will last as long as my 94' toyota. It's too over engineered for it's own good.

Feels like a fuel control problem. I'm pissed!
New engines just keep getting more and more complicated. Electronics are what controll everything and to make it worse.....................people now want electronics to controll everything for them.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:25   #10
detroitmike
Veteran Member

I read somewhere its something to do with the EGR valve. I'm not really sure but I can tell you that it seems to smooth itself out after you get more miles on it. I have 15000 on mine and I hardly notice it anymore.

Or maybe I just got used to it.

detroitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:00   #11
GrayWagen

Default Rev the Engine

If I don't rev the engine, I get the same thing. Somewhere on this site are guidelines for warming up the car. Here's what I do:

After start, while still in park, press the accelerator to the floor for a few seconds. Usually, this warms the car up.

If I get some jerkiness once moving, I then floor it and push the RPMs to around 4,200. Once I have done this, I never have the jerking again.

Sorry I don't have the link for the guidelines.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:07   #12
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Wasn't there are recall or a TSB on these DSG tranny's ? I know mine had a recall to flash the computer with an update to fix this problem. Not sure on the 2012's.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ght=DSG+recall

Above is a thread from 2011. Looks like it was a TSB and harder than pulling hens teeth to get some dealers to do it.

Last edited by Cogen Man; March 22nd, 2012 at 08:15.
Cogen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:20   #13
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Mine does the same thing (2011 JSW DSG). As it seems to happen also with the 6M, I think it is the fuel/emissions system. The fuel mapping algorithyms in this engine are looking at 26 different sensors, and at startup/first drive, probably more are being considered than at any other time driving. I think it is a software issue that may or may not be correctable without compromising performance in another area.
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:24   #14
Lucihula

Well thanks everyon that posted I guess I'm not alone. I'll just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then I'll take it in. I've only got about 1,000 miles on it so far.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:44   #15
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Lucihala, as many have said here before, if everyone experiences it, it's not a problem, it's a "feature"!!!
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote