turbo upgrade for A3?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the 1852 was with the one piece turbo/manifold

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
Rub87 said:
u
option is borg warner gt1749VC equivalent found on 16v 170hp PD in audi A4, bolts up perfectly to afn manifold..
Rub, will it bolt up to AGR manifold? What's the engine code for 16v 170hp PD?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
no won't bolt up to agr, you need asv or afn..

don't know the engine code, I could get you the pn of the turbo if you want..

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Can anyone help me out with a part number and or car of origin?

I am looking for a VNT-20 or similar turbo that has the same general layout, but different flanges than the stock AHU GT15/KKK03.

In other words, it can be clocked to have the turbo sit under the manifold like stock.

And preferably but not necessarily has the same cold side shape with barbed flanges as opposed to O ring joints.

I plan to go the adapter plate route with the stock manifold.

I really wanted to buy Rub87s vnt20 setup, but with the realization that smog testing of diesels is coming to CA next year I need to find something that can be made to look a little more like stock, from the surface (no tube manifolds).

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
or gt18v from opel hybridzed with 52mm compressor is a acutally a vnt20 but with nicer vanes =) just needs an adapterplete because the 3 bolt flange is clocked 30° wrong

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I see, is that the same for the KKK turbo, that is three bolt flange just clocked differently?

So I would need either adapter plate, which is fine and easy to make or an AFN exhaust manifold?

Is that correct?

Rub87 said:
or gt18v from opel hybridzed with 52mm compressor is a acutally a vnt20 but with nicer vanes =) just needs an adapterplete because the 3 bolt flange is clocked 30° wrong

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
12MPGHWY said:
I see, is that the same for the KKK turbo, that is three bolt flange just clocked differently?

So I would need either adapter plate, which is fine and easy to make or an AFN exhaust manifold?

Is that correct?
No...

KKK turbo is 100% pnp on AFN manifold

and gt18v need adapterplate with afn manifold..

I don't like the AHU/1Z manifold so much :p

hendomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
None At the moment
Rub87 said:
No...

KKK turbo is 100% pnp on AFN manifold

and gt18v need adapterplate with afn manifold..

I don't like the AHU/1Z manifold so much :p
So how does someone on the west side of the pond get ahold of an AFN manifold found on the east side of the pond? :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
problem is that the shipping will cost more as the price of the manifold :D

btw it's also found on ASV engine in ibiza 6k2, or A4/passat/A6 8V PD and vp37 engines

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
it's just a vacuum actuatore with a position sensor, which you don't need, so just connect the vacuum hose =)

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So it my be the same manifold or compatible as found on the US model 2.0 PD Passat?

Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the KKK Audi turbo, and the US model PD turbo showing the flange, sure looks like they would bolt to the same manifold.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/joericambi/a6-170-bhp-turbocharger.jpg?t=1220973691

Rub87 said:
problem is that the shipping will cost more as the price of the manifold :D

btw it's also found on ASV engine in ibiza 6k2, or A4/passat/A6 8V PD and vp37 engines

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a VNT-17 (or 1749VA) from a B5.5 Passat in the US. Here it is side-by-side with the GT15

Making an adapter to rotate the flange would be no problem. And you could clock the compressor to get the exit in a similar location. The exit clip connector is kind of a pain, but not awful. And if clearance for the actuator is a problem I think you could flip it over, although then it might push the vanes the wrong way. That kind of stuff makes my head hurt.

This might actually be a good setup, especially if it allowed you to not modify the engine mount. You'd still have to make a new downpipe, but that's no problem.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
12MPGHWY said:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/joericambi/a6-170-bhp-turbocharger.jpg?t=1220973691So it my be the same manifold or compatible as found on the US model 2.0 PD Passat?

Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the KKK Audi turbo, and the US model PD turbo showing the flange, sure looks like they would bolt to the same manifold.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/joericambi/a6-170-bhp-turbocharger.jpg?t=1220973691
Yes seems it'll fit.. if the passat is 8v it will fit just fine..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
and a awx engine is the same as 2.0 PD 8v externally.. and the 2.0 also uses the same turbo as the awx ;)

So you guys should be set with such 2.0 PD 8V passat exh manifold and this KKK turbo..

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
anyone know what size the compressor is on the BRD or any of the other specs?

How would this compare with a VNT2052 or VNT17/22 with 52MM compressor

It seems that since this would bolt to the 2.0 8V PD manifold that this would be an upgrade for that car also.