Mk5 Jetta TDI swap???

Dubblow

TDI
"98 beetle TDI, '91 Jetta TDI Swap, mk4 Golf tdi, 09 & 06 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone,

So I have a mk5 Jetta (brm) with a stg2 tune. Pretty fun to drive and gets the job done but I want Moar.

Now I’ve been looking around for a while to see if I could find any info on swapping out my BRM for a pd140(BKD) or a PD170(BMN). All I have seen are people using pd150 manifolds, injectors, and turbos on their existing motors to get power in the 200hp range. Nothing about swapping in a whole motor. I’m aiming for something in the 300hp range and from I’ve read doing that on a BRM is $$$.

So my questions is, does anyone know if the BKD or BMN is a straight drop in as far as mounts and electrics are concerned? Can it run off of my current ECU with a proper tune? I figured since it’s mk5 to mk5 it should be a fairly straight forward swap to do, maybe some minor modifications to make it work properly.
Planning on going through Darkside Developments for parts.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Where do you plan to get these engines?

Dubblow

TDI
"98 beetle TDI, '91 Jetta TDI Swap, mk4 Golf tdi, 09 & 06 Jetta TDI
sorry about that, didnt know anyone replied. every time i checked this post it was dead.

So far Ive been looking at motors on ebay.uk and de., Also was going to shoot a PM to Ryanp to get some info. Last case scenario, i have family in the UK.
at this point my mind is set on the BKD but im just having trouble finding the information concerning the swap, assuming no one has done it... i mean it does sound wild.

Last edited:

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 00 Golf, 02 Beetle
As far as the mounts go it should be a strait bolt up. The frame rails on all the MK5 jettas were the same regardless of engine. The BRM should be almost if not completely plug and play with the factory wiring but the BKD was never a US engine so it might need some wiring to make it work. As far as ecm goes I would get the factory ecm for what ever engine you go with and tune from there rather than try and put some weird tune on the wrong ecm to make it work.