am i expecting too much performance of my alh mtdi in mk2 golf?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i'm not really a techie and don't have motorsport background. before this project i drove many stock 1.6td's in mk1 and mk2 chasis. i want to drive this mk2 golf for a long time for great mileage and also have a new mazda 3 hatchback.
i want power on tap for a freeway merge, pass, etc. i just tried to race the car onto my ramp and maybe i just beat the mazda as far as merging speed @ 80mph. lower gears are more revvy i guess but fifth gear is lacking. i can't see lugging this car at all, i see boost lag on the gauge and then it will start to pull a tad and i think hit governer?
i will be cruising at a few psi boost slam pedal down and it will hit 21 max boost so far, 1300+ egt. i don't understand any relation to the fueling, my boost now, governor mod, etc.
here is a video of it running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88-hIKBVEOs

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I'm guessing you're running a rover pump, that's what it appears. I've heard the governors in those are fairly low, not sure if that's true or not. I can cruise my AHU samurai with a 12mm pump down the interstate at 80mph though, so I don't think there's any reason you should have a problem. Maybe you can get away with just upgrading the governor spring?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm guessing you're running a rover pump, that's what it appears. I've heard the governors in those are fairly low, not sure if that's true or not. I can cruise my AHU samurai with a 12mm pump down the interstate at 80mph though, so I don't think there's any reason you should have a problem. Maybe you can get away with just upgrading the governor spring?
I can definately tell the pump has a wall. you stomp on it idling and it screams then sticks in a spot. this is also felt very quick in the lower gears driving it hard where it hits a wall, but its already boosting 20psi by then.

oops sorry i am running a rover 300 pump @ 1.54mm timing, stock pump
ctn 02a tranny
holset he2000wg turbo
stock alh engine and injectors
sp auto intercooler/radiator with 2" piping.
no exhaust yet.

i want slightly wider rims but this set looks to be 4% larger diameter over stock using a tire calculator.

most of my commute is flat, i don't have any problem cruising at 80 in fifth gear then, i don't have to punch it, it doesn't sound like its revving crazy. just the power delivery

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm running a Rover pump on my 1z converted Westy with a gt2052 turbo and DLC 1019 injectors...the thing rolls out for a heavy brick ...i think my timing is around 1.1 ... i also adjusted the max fuel screw and the boost aneroid spring seat... it can smoke pretty good at low revs but once it lights off it hauls... boost is controlled via an mbc and is set to around 18 psi although the needle has swung to 20 on occasion

Last edited:

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm running a Rover pump on my 1z converted Westy with a gt2052 turbo and DLC 1019 injectors...the thing rolls out for a heavy brick ...i think my timing is around 1.1 ... i also adjusted the max fuel screw and the boost aneroid spring seat... it can smoke pretty good at low revs but once it lights off it hauls... boost is controlled via an mbc and is set to around 18 psi although the needle has swung to 20 on occasion
did you do the popular governor mod to your pump?

really have no clue what to do, but it sounds like if i mess with it for more power i will need another clutch, i will probably wait on that and learn the hard way :)

i don't understand how boost and fueling will work? if i am already maxxing out boost before the car keeps taking off what is allowing it to rev more and moving the fuel screw going to do?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
did you do the popular governor mod to your pump?
really have no clue what to do, but it sounds like if i mess with it for more power i will need another clutch, i will probably wait on that and learn the hard way :)
i don't understand how boost and fueling will work? if i am already maxxing out boost before the car keeps taking off what is allowing it to rev more and moving the fuel screw going to do?
no governor mod* .. adjusting the fuel screw also alters the max effective rpm ...you can have max boost @ idle and if you're not putting fuel to it it aint goin nowhere fast ...also adjust the aneroid spring seat tension so it fuels quicker per boost input... the stock injectors are probably holding you back too

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
no governor mod* .. adjusting the fuel screw also alters the max effective rpm ...you can have max boost @ idle and if you're not putting fuel to it it aint goin nowhere fast ...also adjust the aneroid spring seat tension so it fuels quicker per boost input... the stock injectors are probably holding you back too
so if i already can max out the boost, what is going to happen with more fuel and more revs with governor mod? more egt and smoke, seems like i already got too much of those.

should i install head studs and up the boost?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
oh boy i found something today after popping the hood. so my first voyage was 18 miles. i guess i underestimated how much things would rattle. i put some cut up yoga mat under the air filter can so it wouldn't be metal and metal and a coolant sleeve on upper coolant pipe. they moved and the yoga mat was formed and sucked inside the airbox inlet.

so i have no clue how much of that drive was like that, but also half way through the drive i went to a gas station and left a good puddle of oil before filling up which freaked me out. dipstick still read ok.

i thought this oil leak was wierd because i drove it allot around the property and warmed it up and had it on lift and only saw some weeping which i have no clue if i have everything tight or if i need to clean old gunk off, etc.

if my airbox inlet was blocked could that have raised the egts and made oil weep out? i just put the car on the lift again and i don't detect a hint of oil from the valve cover/breather or turbo parts. it seems to be pooling at bottom where tranny meets engine its still wet.

also not sure if letting the airbox just sit there on passenger side with less than a foot of clearance between it and the back of the headlight is doing any good? no ram air there. could that have been hurting the egt's, etc.? it was only about 70 degrees at sea level that day.