Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Threecube

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline
Ya I saw that article posted about a week ago. Didn't really see anyone else post similar information though. Who knows how reputable Handelsblatt is. But overall the news outlets have been pretty silent when it comes to Canadian TDI scandal news.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
Ya I saw that article posted about a week ago. Didn't really see anyone else post similar information though. Who knows how reputable Handelsblatt is. But overall the news outlets have been pretty silent when it comes to Canadian TDI scandal news.
They have been dead quiet on Canadian information. Probably don't think its a big enough news story.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
They have been dead quiet on Canadian information. Probably don't think its a big enough news story.
Well, there is a conspiracy to keep diesel cars out of North America.

The less information there is in the media, the less chance there is of people finding out how great they are and demanding to have them.

When I say there's a conspiracy, I really don't know what else to call it. If the government wanted diesel cars, there'd be diesel cars, right? So I assume they don't want them here, and that's why they are scarce. They are conspiring to keep them out. The media in Canada just reports what is spoon-fed to them.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
This (or something very similar but cheaper) is about the only thing I'd want in the future from the VW lineup. Sadly, never to see NA soil.
I'm just starting to imagine a BiTDI Golf GTD...mmmm....but sadly I don't think even that would get me back into a VW unless they smarten up very shortly.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
This would get me back with VW:

For the first time ever, the Volkswagen Amarok will be available with a 3.0-liter V6 TDI producing 220 horsepower and 405 pound feet at 1,500 RPM.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
A co-worker of mine travelled across Europe with his wife back in May ; he snapped some photos of these Amorak's. He said they look even better in person. Way nicer than the current honda ridegeline, and that is some serious torque...:D:D

tdegeld

TDI
2012 Golf 4 Dr Comfortline TDI
Anyone else feeling completely defeated by this? I'm not gonna lie, the prospect of getting a new car is pretty excited, but the only real positive of this is hard to enjoy when I don't even know what I'll be getting if anything... The longer this goes on, it feels more and more likely we're gonna get screwed....

CanuckRS

TDI
MK6 Wolfsburg Edition Sportwagen 6MT
CanuckRS, I just retweeted everything you put on Twitter: well-said indeed:).
Much appreciated. Basically retweet anything #DoneWithVW related. None of the major news outlets have any interest in this story also we've got to do something to get their attention. I mean, the NEWS broke almost a year ago, but VW has known about this since the very beginning. My black book value is sitting between $16k-$18k right now (drive a ton). Owe way more than that. We, and so many others are hostages in these cars until this is finished. I've got a 60,000km service coming up soon. How the hell is it fair that we are paying maintence on cars we can't keep. VW should be covering our dealer visits at the very least. I just want out.

Not to mention my wife bought a 2015 GTI about a month before the dieselgate news broke. We both want out of the cars. I was actually considering getting a GSW 4Motion to replace my TDI but I'm done now.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Done and done sir. The tweets are flowing: who knows, maybe it will slap some sense into them, and maybe it won't. All the same, its about all we can do at this point.

Lister

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Z4, 2007 Audi A3 RIP, 2013 Jetta Dirty Diesel, 2013 BMW 328i
Hey Guys, long time first time here (well long time if you count the date of the scandal). The issue with a so called fix is warranty on said parts to accommodate such fix. I could see those slimy buggers offering something like 2 years 40,000 kms or something like that. If a fix is the solution that our "iron fist" legal system make VW agree to, then I sure hope we get some kind of compensation like the one n the US. I for one will not hold my breathe though, because our legal system is a joke here. I for one love Canada, and am a proud Canadian, but I sure wish the judge presiding over this in Canada would grow a pair, and set a precedent in Canada for all other car manufacturers to be scared of.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Guys, long time first time here (well long time if you count the date of the scandal). The issue with a so called fix is warranty on said parts to accommodate such fix. I could see those slimy buggers offering something like 2 years 40,000 kms or something like that. If a fix is the solution that our "iron fist" legal system make VW agree to, then I sure hope we get some kind of compensation like the one n the US. I for one will not hold my breathe though, because our legal system is a joke here. I for one love Canada, and am a proud Canadian, but I sure wish the judge presiding over this in Canada would grow a pair, and set a precedent in Canada for all other car manufacturers to be scared of.
I think most of us here are proud Canadians, but at the moment not necessarily proud VW owners. Yes we do need to have a tougher legal system. That being said, I read up on some older news stories regarding the judge in this case, and he does seem to have the will to impose settlements on companies, so that is hopeful.

If the fix does become "ok" (through EPA/CARB testing) before the next court update here, I think that having a "fix-only" settlement for Canadian customers could be a real concern: the extended warranty had better be for the life of the vehicle (within reason) or it would be a bad deal. Considering the disparity in such a case, between that potential settlement here and the alternate settlemen south of the border, it would still be upsetting. Further complicating things is if the fix is proven to reduce horsepower/torque/fuel economy: that alters the vehicle we purchased, and would therefore be an additional "annoyance" :).

If you're on Twitter, you can gauge some of the sentiment right now by checking out #DoneWithVW or the VW response account @VWCanadaTDI: lots of frustrated Canadians.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The mandated warranty on the "fix" in the USA is 48,000 mi (call it 80,000 km) or 4 years, and in addition to all components of the "fix" it's mandated to cover the engine, the HPFP, and unless VW comes up with a field-service way for the dealers to tell the difference between ash build-up (considered normal) and clogging due to soot as a result of the "fix", the DPF is covered, too. IMO this isn't long enough, but the scope is about right.

Jordaney

TDI
2012 Passat
I can't believe that some people are even considering buying another VW or even getting the fix and keeping it!!!! WOW, wake up people. Do you not see what VW has done to you? Do you not understand that you have to go and waste your time again looking for a new vehicle? What about the thousands of dollars that you just lost in the depreciation or the 13% tax that you had to pay? Do you not realize that you now have to pay it again?
Aside from the fact they they committed fraud to sell us a car, mine is a LEMON and now I'm stuck with it.
I was born in Germany and always wanted a VW Passat Diesel. I did all my homework and felt that I was making the best decision. The problems started at the dealership at the time of delivery and never stopped to this day. Today is the fourth time my car has been in for service this year alone. The first 3 times cost me over $4,000. This time the turbo charger went. I know its still under warranty but they always seem to find something to charge you for that's not covered. I feel that every time I bring it in they break something else so they can get me in again. That's sounds absurd but if you had to deal with them, you would feel the same way. I don't trust them. On top of all that we have this scandal which is above and beyond what I thought they would do. Now I feel cheated and lied to and I'm stuck with a car that I can't get rid of without taking a huge loss. I read the posts on this site from the owners in the U.S. complaining that they are getting shafted and then someone (most likely an employee of VW) berating them. I'm with the U.S. owners. I would've never bought this vehicle if I knew the truth. I bought it because it held it's value longer than most, it was extremely fuel efficient, it had plenty of power and it was something that would last me a long time given it's history. Well here we are. It's a LEMON, It's unreliable and it's value has tanked therefore I can't get rid of it. on top of all that, I'm faced with having to find a new vehicle long before I thought I would and I would have to pay for depreciation and a 13% tax again. Yes I'm whining and complaining but I paid alot of money and have every F****** right to do so. #F***VW. #DONEWITHVW,

Jordaney

TDI
2012 Passat
I can't believe that some people are even considering buying another VW or even getting the fix and keeping it!!!! WOW, wake up people. Do you not see what VW has done to you? Do you not understand that you have to go and waste your time again looking for a new vehicle? What about the thousands of dollars that you just lost in the depreciation or the 13% tax that you had to pay? Do you not realize that you now have to pay it again?
Aside from the fact they they committed fraud to sell us a car, mine is a LEMON and now I'm stuck with it.
I was born in Germany and always wanted a VW Passat Diesel. I did all my homework and felt that I was making the best decision. The problems started at the dealership at the time of delivery and never stopped to this day. Today is the fourth time my car has been in for service this year alone. The first 3 times cost me over $4,000. This time the turbo charger went. I know its still under warranty but they always seem to find something to charge you for that's not covered. I feel that every time I bring it in they break something else so they can get me in again. That's sounds absurd but if you had to deal with them, you would feel the same way. I don't trust them. On top of all that we have this scandal which is above and beyond what I thought they would do. Now I feel cheated and lied to and I'm stuck with a car that I can't get rid of without taking a huge loss. I read the posts on this site from the owners in the U.S. complaining that they are getting shafted and then someone (most likely an employee of VW) berating them. I'm with the U.S. owners. I would've never bought this vehicle if I knew the truth. I bought it because it held it's value longer than most, it was extremely fuel efficient, it had plenty of power and it was something that would last me a long time given it's history. Well here we are. It's a LEMON, It's unreliable and it's value has tanked therefore I can't get rid of it. on top of all that, I'm faced with having to find a new vehicle long before I thought I would and I would have to pay for depreciation and a 13% tax again. Yes I'm whining and complaining but I paid alot of money and have every F****** right to do so. #F***VW. #DONEWITHVW,

I just received a call from my dealership and just as I thought, they figured out a way to screw me again. Apparently, it's not the turbo charger but a leak going to it. It's going to cost me another $230 plus HST to find the problem not to repair it though. #F***VW, #DONEWITHVW.

CanuckRS

TDI
MK6 Wolfsburg Edition Sportwagen 6MT
Guys we have to get media attention in this country. I've actually reached out to CBC marketplace via email and think it would help if others do the same thing.

marketplace@cbc.ca

I wrote them a semi-long email regarding the situation for us. Even if you want to send something short and sweet I think it will help get the point across that this is indeed news worthy and that consumers are not being treated fairly. Who knows what the outcome will be but it's worth a shot. Just put something along the lines of Volkswagen Diesel Emission Scandal in the subject line if you do go through with sending an email.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
I just received a call from my dealership and just as I thought, they figured out a way to screw me again. Apparently, it's not the turbo charger but a leak going to it. It's going to cost me another $230 plus HST to find the problem not to repair it though. #F***VW, #DONEWITHVW.
To be perfectly honest, when this whole fiasco began I would've happily considered another VW, as I test drove a VW GTI a long time ago and totally enjoyed how it drove (Tornado Red, manual). Does the fact that VW put in the emissions "workaround" bother me? Yes. Does it make me angry? Yes, but only to the point that they've given governments an excuse to go after diesel vehicles even more than they already do in some jurisdictions, and that subsequently due to no fault of my own, I have been put in additional financial risk.

The point that has truly put me, and I'm sure other people too, to the point of walking away is the complete lack of respect and communication coming from Volkswagen Canada at this point. We have a right to know what is going on, and deserve more than hearing "we're working on it" for the past year.

I have absolutely loved my VWs since 2004 (2004 Jetta TDI, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 2014 Passat TDI), so I'm not a VW hater, just a really upset VW customer who wants to be treated fairly.

Threecube

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline
Jordaney, I pretty much feel the same way as you. Extremely fed up and done with VW now. Stuck with a car that has had reliability problems (starting issues, wrong radiator fan installed in my car at factory line, transmission issues) and not sellable right now because dieselgate has taken a huge hit on depreciation. Whether VW does the right thing and buys back the cars or doesn't. I will soon not be driving a VW. Thankfully all those issues were covered under warranty but my warranty ends in November.

At the start of Dieselgate I would have been all over upgrading to a GTI. Oh how times have changed.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys we have to get media attention in this country. I've actually reached out to CBC marketplace via email and think it would help if others do the same thing.

marketplace@cbc.ca

I wrote them a semi-long email regarding the situation for us. Even if you want to send something short and sweet I think it will help get the point across that this is indeed news worthy and that consumers are not being treated fairly. Who knows what the outcome will be but it's worth a shot. Just put something along the lines of Volkswagen Diesel Emission Scandal in the subject line if you do go through with sending an email.
Done and done. I wrote a shorter email, the contents of which I've put below (subject line "VW Emissions Scandal in Canada".

Hello Marketplace,
I write to you as a very upset VW Canada customer right now. As a VW customer, we were lead to believe that there would be an update on July 29th, more than a month after VW customers in the United States received news of a settlement. To this point, all we have heard is "We're working on it".
Customers feel disrespected, upset, and taken advantage of, through this lack of communication by VW Canada.
Please consider pushing this story forwards as it would of great service to Canadian consumers who are affected by the issue.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Lol I noticed all the tweets getting re-tweeted again. You guys are right, looks like the bot is back from it's long weekend break. Keeping two columns to monitor it all:

Jordaney

TDI
2012 Passat
Jordaney, I pretty much feel the same way as you. Extremely fed up and done with VW now. Stuck with a car that has had reliability problems (starting issues, wrong radiator fan installed in my car at factory line, transmission issues) and not sellable right now because dieselgate has taken a huge hit on depreciation. Whether VW does the right thing and buys back the cars or doesn't. I will soon not be driving a VW. Thankfully all those issues were covered under warranty but my warranty ends in November.

At the start of Dieselgate I would have been all over upgrading to a GTI. Oh how times have changed.
Since January of 2016 It has cost me over $4200 not including today. I've had the Push button starter not starting, the driver door not locking or unlocking, the alternator died at a part only cost of $1070 plus labour and minimum $230 today. I'm not getting it fixed whatever it is. I'm going to pick it up and park it in my driveway until this gets settled. I have a 2012 Passat tdi highline with 135,000 km and I can't rely on it. This is really sad. VW should be embarrassed. #F***VW, #DONEWITHVW