VNT Repair Procedure

GasNoMore

TDI
02 Golf
I tried to take off my turbo today to clean it and was thwarted by the oil feed union nut that refuses to budge and was starting to buckle the line. Is there a special very slim gland nut spanner available for this job?.
I found that when I slipped 6 mm hex wrench in between the fitting and the casting I could get the fitting to jamb against the hex key and successfully loosen the oil supply line. Good luck!

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Total time for this job: 1.5 hours to pull the turbo, 2 hours to clean the turbo, 1.5 hours to re-install the turbo.DB
Does this reflect having to remove the egr cooler? did you replace the oil lines after doing this? I've read you HAVE to, but if you don't damage them, can they be re-used?

Also, I've only gotten the over-boost code once going up a hill with my family of 5 in the car...but I have noticed my MPG waaay down and sudden bursts of boost after a few seconds once the RPMs go up. I suspect my vanes being sticky, but I'm trying to eliminate other possible explanations for this. For example, the vacuum pump nipple that goes to brake booster was loose. I used a socket large enough to tap the flange (if you will) to tighten it. I have checked vacuum at the end of the EGR actuator and get about 20" from 15 before. When wiggly I had about 10-15". But I've also read that I should be between 20-25, others say as high as 28-30". Would my vacuum have enough effect on the turbo to cause an overboost code or give me mpg issues?