TDI Motorcycle

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Haven't seen TDI Motorcycles discussed for a while here, so let's! :p

Available to me is an early 80s BMW R Series bike with a sidecar. Engine/transmission has exploded.

BMW has a drive shaft instead of a chain system. As others have done, take a Golf style transmission, welding the diff and run the drive shaft off the rear-facing CV. This concept of driving the rear wheel VERY simple, as no adapter plates and precision alignment is needed. It's just a factor of mounting the VW engine and transmission - now you see why the sidecar is needed as it will be a HEAVY bike.

The downfall to this idea is this is a very long setup for a motorcycle and there is no way it would physically fit a standard BMW or really any other frame. Also a 1900cc TDI is *way* overkill in the power department too.

The 1.2L three-cylinder TDI found in the Volkswagen Lupo comes to mid as a smaller engine. Does anyone have measurements of the 1.2L TDI and it's transmission? Yes there is the Smart 42 CDI out there.... bah!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i would say the 1.2 is one cylinder spacing width shorter as it uses many of the same external components... why not the smart engine ? ... would be a cool swap no matter what engine you choose... i love my r1150gs ... best bike i've ever owned... also the r series box bears an uncanny resemblance to a vw 020 with it's rear mounted release bearing and through shaft release rod... really dig the automotive style single disc dry clutch setup on my R

Last edited:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My moto guzzi has the same clutch setup.
Years ago I met a gentleman at a bike rally who chopped the front two cylinders off a chevy 427 big block to make a v twin he stuffed into a Harley frame. Pretty cool bike.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
i would say the 1.2 is one cylinder spacing width shorter as it uses many of the same external components... why not the smart engine ? ... would be a cool swap no matter what engine you choose... i love my r1150gs ... best bike i've ever owned... also the r series box bears an uncanny resemblance to a vw 020 with it's rear mounted release bearing and through shaft release rod... really dig the automotive style single disc dry clutch setup on my R
I owned a R1100GS and when I did a clutch job on it, I went for a four puck setup similar to what Toratech sells. The fun fact is that a VW Beetle clutch disc is a direct replacement for these bikes - so instead of almost a grand for the TT unit, it was like $75 and worked like a champ! I guess this shows that if you wanted to you could adapt a BMW transmission to a Volkswagen Diesel with ease - this bike has no transmission though and my R1100's tractor gearbox wouldn't hold up to the torque of a Diesel, I doubt of any boxer transmission would over the long run.

The Smart engine is what the short-lived Track T-800CDI used. What can I say, stick with what you know and I like Volkswagen Diesel motors!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
A 3L Lupo 1.2 TDI (or Audi A2 3L or Seat Arosa 3L) with the automated manual box that came with these particular models sound just like the ticket!

Import one from Europe, take the powertrain for the bike and put a regular 1.9L 4-cylinder / CTN manual tranny in its place for an insanely light and aerodynamic runabout!

Marmont

TDI
Is 2.0 TDI
Please provide more details. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before, or would this be your first time? How old are you, and why are you looking to purchase a motorcycle? I recommend that you use https://riderly.com/rental-locations/portugal/ to rent a motorcycle that you like. This is a well-known place from which I have rented different bikes on numerous occasions, so you can trust these people. You can contact me if you have any specific questions about a particular motorcycle. I'll do everything I can to assist you. So don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

Last edited: