Passat headlights

Djphatp

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0 TDI wagon
After buying my 2004 Passat it seemed like The lights weren’t properly adjusted, so I tried to adjust them but one of them were stripped out. So I bought some aftermarket headlights off eBay. After I got them in it’s was like the adjustments were broke. The seller said he would send me a new pair, so after paying someone again to put them in. The same thing happened. It’s like I could adjust them a bit,but can’t get them adjusted high enough. I have to drive with my brights on full time. When I try the dims, it’s like there is a big black V 20ft in front of me. Has anybody had success with any brand of aftermarket headlights.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I bought a pair back in 2014 also from eBay (Depo brand, explained here) and now I have a few issues. The right one has oxidized from the inside so I cannot take the cloudiness out and the turn signal on the left is not working. Also it does not take the VW turn signal sockets as a replacement so not so good.

I will have to save now to get the Hellas that are made in Slovakia and see if there is a proper way to put HID on them (it might not be possible so I might have to deal with the yellowish 55w halogen ones unfortunately).

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Best to stick with the Hella brand. I have a couple of aftermarkets on my shelf that were awful like you have found out.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
FCP Euro had the Hellas (OE) on clearance not too long ago. <$120 per side. That's not a whole lot more than after-market prices.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I have noticed that as well as 55 wat bulbs Hella has a 100 watt bulb. Is there any reason not to use it?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
But I suppose those ultra-bright whites are.
Blindingly so. I hates them.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw that rockauto has Hella's for $100 each. Getting ready to order a set.
One thing about FCP Euro is that they offer a 'Lifetime Replacement' and the cost with shipping is not that much higher than RockAuto. Something to research about. I have not used FCP Euro, although their customer reviews are fairly better than RockAuto.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
FCP Euro's lifetime replacement warranty is legit. I had some control arms re-replaced and they credited the purchase amount of the first "economy" kit I bought from them and let me 'upgrade' to Meyle HD on the replacement kit. Their free economy shipping (on purchases over $49) is slow though, so it may be worth upgrading shipping if it's not too much.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Are the fcp headlights the ones with im guessing led signals that make the blinkers flash a million miles an hour?

Was going to track down and install an led specific relay but seems the 4 way flasher switch and relay are built as one so resistors are my only option unless i can swap standard bulbs into the housing

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the fcp headlights the ones with im guessing led signals that make the blinkers flash a million miles an hour?
Was going to track down and install an led specific relay but seems the 4 way flasher switch and relay are built as one so resistors are my only option unless i can swap standard bulbs into the housing
From reading the description about the Hella B5.5 headlights at FCP Euro I do not get the impression that the turn signals are LED based but just regular incandescent bulbs.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
From reading the description about the Hella B5.5 headlights at FCP Euro I do not get the impression that the turn signals are LED based but just regular incandescent bulbs.

Im not 100% where the po got these. Came off of my part out passat and looked nicer than the ones on my daily so i tossed them on. Been causing epileptic seizures ever since.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I got a set that look like Anzo lights with dual angel eyes. I was going to get a set of Hella's from Rockauto, but they ran out of one side. Happy with the new ones, I can see much better. Got them on ebay.