Highest H3 Bulb

TDI
I have a set of E-codes (factory defect version posted in this thread) with a fog lamp harness from ECS tuning. I currently have yellow Zila bulbs from ECS, but am considering switching my fogs to a white light in order to provide more light when needed. Does anyone know what the highest wattage bulb that can be put in there? Also, does anyone know how many watts the ECS harness can handle? I don't want to melt anything.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have been running 50 watts in the top fogs and 100 watts to the bottom fogs. they seem to run the wattage (Bottom) all right as I like to drive at night and I have not had a 100 watt bulb burn out yet. I will drive from 1030PM to day light on my trips to the H05G in NH. I do have heavy wires and relays on the lower 100 watt lights. This makes a big difference in lighting and I have to make sure to turn them down when someone is coming at me or I will blind them. JMHO

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I have a set of E-codes (factory defect version posted in this thread) with a fog lamp harness from ECS tuning. I currently have yellow Zila bulbs from ECS, but am considering switching my fogs to a white light in order to provide more light when needed. Does anyone know what the highest wattage bulb that can be put in there? Also, does anyone know how many watts the ECS harness can handle? I don't want to melt anything.
You should always run auxiliary lights through a good relay, especially higher wattage ones. You get better lighting and no possible damage to your electrical system. I use Hella relays with replaceable fuses and #12 copper stranded wire.

TDI
You should always run auxiliary lights through a good relay, especially higher wattage ones. You get better lighting and no possible damage to your electrical system. I use Hella relays with replaceable fuses and #12 copper stranded wire.
I use relays. I reconfigured my headlamps to get power directly from the battery, and made my own harness for that feature using relays from autozone and some 14G wire. The fog light harness and fog light bulbs were given to me as a gift. Everything is already set up and working, but my question is still: how high of a wattage bulb can I safely run?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I've run 150 watt H3's in a few housings but they tend to burn a little too hot and melt housings haha
edit.. I think they were 130 watt, not 150

Last edited:

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I use relays. I reconfigured my headlamps to get power directly from the battery, and made my own harness for that feature using relays from autozone and some 14G wire. The fog light harness and fog light bulbs were given to me as a gift. Everything is already set up and working, but my question is still: how high of a wattage bulb can I safely run?
Whatever current your relays are set up for. However, keep in mind that bulbs over 100 watts, don't improve lighting very much at all, and most of the extra light is "scatter". Additionally, the higher the wattage, the shorter the life span

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Ya to really get the most out of the 130watt bulbs you pretty much need a housing designed for them.. Something like those hand held massive 12v spotlights that are 6-7" diameter.. They light up nice with 130's in them.. Some of the KC's come with 130's as well..