Really sick of asking questions here- Catalytic Converter?

boodles

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Hey, so... seems like this is becoming a regular thing... I always seem to get stumped, do a ton of research, not find what I want and always end up here.
I drive an 03 VW Jetta (1.8T) not a TDI- but you people are so helpful lol
Did some work on it this weekend and I’m on the fence about just replacing the whole down pipe and catalytic converter- instead of leaving it “as is” -my stepdads recommendation. At this point the car doesn’t run great, throws a code for emissions every once in a while, is extra noisy, and everything I didn’t replace last year looks like it could rust off at any moment - with snowbanks soon to be had, I feel like replacement is better than “wait and see”.
My question is- why are all the parts the internet recommends different than the parts that are on it? Did something change or am I just not finding the right parts?
THIS is currently what the chunk of pipe that needs replaced looks like, with the cat and a.... front muffler?
THIS is what every part site recommends for the car.
So really... I’m just wondering why I’m inputting the model of my car and getting something different than what my car has- unless what my car has is incorrect. Really just mildly confused. Any explination would be helpful.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The aftermarket catalysts will vary in their appearance, generally none of them will work as well or last as long as the original, but will "fit" in its place just the same.

VAG sometimes uses a two stage catalyst, as many other makes do. And they may only actually monitor the first stage, which is why the second oxygen sensor is mounted the way it is.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yes aftermarket parts for the car are listed everywhere. ECS tuning I believe sells gasser parts.
I always look somewhere reliable like IDparts to see what they list.

You can always call the dealership and get part numbers and search those.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
aftermarket cats are trash, unless you get the really good stuff that cost 10x the cost of OEM, By an EOM cat, and do the rest of your exhaust in stainless 304 (not "stainless muffler" crap) Your going to pay up for it.
You can always just go with a good set of mandrel bends from a proper muff shop and weld it up yourself or have them do it, and have it ceramic coated by a dipper company, otherwise your in rust town for a decent amount of your cars life.