www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 24th, 2018, 08:58   #1
~TDIguy~
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good nuf for me!
Question 109 relay symtoms- but not the 109 relay fix!

So i recently bought a 2004 jetta Bew that i had found on CL in Indiana. 343k miles but still pretty solid and with a brand new PD150 intake and VNT 17 that i thought would go good on my other BEW with the tuning and currently stock turbo. So i had a friend drive the car home, drove great and ran fine. He dropped it off in pa where i later picked it up and drove the rest of the way to my place in Ny. i drove it a little bit around here, to work a day or so and then parked it cause i dont plan to put it on the road but simply swap the parts and resell.
So the car sat for about a week or two in the lot without being moved, when i went out to start it beginning of this week it would crank but not fire. Had the typical 109 relay symptoms, no GP or CEL when you turn the key on. SO i ordered two 109s from IDparts. So yesterday i switched the relay so it would be ready when a guy wanted to come look at it, and it wouldnt start!! Same thing. Checked out all the fuses pertaining to starting, and after a 40 minute conversation with my VW tech friend we decided it has to be the ignition switch. Heres why we thought that. Terminal 87 on the 109 is hot with the key off, and terminal 85 is ground with the key off. Turn the key on, and the power and ground should switch between 85 and 87 like it does on my 05 BEW. but that is not happening. unfortunately the ignition switch did not change that. ANy of you guys have any helpful tips for me??? I have another guy that wants to look at it this afternoon im really hoping to get it going in time..... and oh yes i tried switching the 100 relay between my 05 and the 04 just in case, no difference.
~TDIguy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 09:32   #2
pudman2003

Can you hear the fuel pump running?
pudman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 11:34   #3
UhOh
Veteran Member

Sell it to your VW Tech!

Time to start from scratch:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

This one might have some relevance:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=744

When you say no "GP" what does that mean? GP light doesn't display? (what are your ambient temps?)

As pudman2003 asks, do you hear your fuel pump running?
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 04:37   #4
~TDIguy~
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good nuf for me!

Could not hear fuel pump running and neither did the GP start as they should have, we got 20 degrees or so currently... After a bunch of testing using a bew wiring diagram from a vw tech friend we figured out we had a bad ground to the 109 relay! Pins 87 and 85 are supposed to switch from power to ground and vice verse when you turn on the key and this wasnt happening. So a jumper wire supplying ground got me going for the moment, hopefully it doesnt give more trouble till i have time to check into it again...
~TDIguy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:00   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

Excellent work!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 18:51   #6
algirdas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta AHU

Just had a similar problem with 03 ALH. Would crank but no start and no glow plug light.
Turned out to be a broken wire in the harness that triggers the 109 relay.
It was the blue/yellow wire from ECU connector to the blue plug in plenum passthru.
Fixed by running an overlay wire using Vw wire repair crimp kit.