Soooo Much Info..... Soooo many different opinions!!!!!!

TurnpikeMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Indigo Blue
OK....I just got my BRAND NEW 2002 VW Golf TDI GLS on Tuesday, and I am having a difficult time getting a straight foward answer on how to break this engine in!!!!! Also there are sooo many different opinions on the oil that new engines should use!!!!

I searched all the different topics and still, soooo many different answers! HELP, Please!!!!!!
Give me the simple and straight foward basics of a new TDI!!!!!!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Leave the factory oil in for the first 5000 miles, then switch to one of the high quality synthetic diesel oils such as Delvac-1 or Series 3000.

Break the car in by driving it in all different conditions for the first couple of thousand miles. Don't let it run at one speed for any length of time. Don't lug it, don't thrash it.

Enjoy your new ride.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Originally posted by MITBeta:
.. Don't let it run at one speed for any length of time. Don't lug it, don't thrash it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Turnpikeman: that should be your key learning.

No steady state cruising, no rapid acceleration. It's that simple. I am pretty sure the manual says to adhere to these rules for the first 1000 miles.

I don't know if anyone can accurately answer the "how long does it take to break in a TDI" question. Maybe it's a 100k miles, maybe it's only 20k...

Have fun !

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Also, try to keep the revs below 2500RPM until the water temp gets above those 3 little bars. A good practice to maintain throughout the life of your new engine.

Congrats & good luck with your new TDI Golf!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Break in simple lot of accelerations, no steady speeds for the first 1,000 miles. Shifting during this period should include firm application of the throttle to help seat the rings but do not exceed 3800 rpm or 75% of redline.

After 1,000 miles drive normal but still avoid steady speeds (no cruise control) and try and vary the speed using firm acceleration, again your trying to help the rings seat. This is is done whether you know by simply not using the cruise control on the highway.

At 5,000 change the factory oil and use a 5w40 FULL SYNTHETIC If you have to use Amsoil use the 10w40 (my first choice) or 15w40 but DO NOT use any oil with an Xw30 rating. that means Mobil 1 5w30, Series 3000, Castrol 5w30, Petro Canada 0w30 etc... The xw30 oils all show about .001" of wear per 40,000 miles of usage where as the Xw40 oils show no measureable amount of wear in 100,000 miles draw your own conclusions. But if you read the owners manual you would know that they are recomending the 5w40

It will take about 60,000 miles for the cylinder to fully seat and reach maximum compression. new the cylinder pressures can vary but are typically around 480 psi and will increase to 550 psi over the first 60K.

If your looking to chip I see no reason not to chip right away. If anything this will help seat the cylinders a bit quicker and provided you follow the rpm limits of the break in there will be no adverse affects.

DB