What did you do to your MK7 today?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
what seats are those?
EU Mk7 Art Velours, in GTD color (gray accent instead of red), imported.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
EU Mk7 Art Velours, in GTD color (gray accent instead of red), imported.
do you by any chance know if the rear seat from 5dr golf is the same as sportwagen, will golf rear seat fit SW?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
do you by any chance know if the rear seat from 5dr golf is the same as sportwagen, will golf rear seat fit SW?
Yup, all can be swapped (5dr of any variant and any wagon variant). If you go between Mk7 and Mk7.5 the wiring at the plugs may be different, so that's something to consider. I'm not sure if it was actually at the 7.5 that it changed, seems some late Mk7s had the different wiring.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Downloaded everything that I could find related to my Mk7's VIN from ErWin.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Struck me today that my "new" car, with build date of Oct2014, is getting close to 9years old?!!

I remember when our first VW (early 1999 Mk3 Golf) got to 9yrs old and ~180K km....it was feeling and looking pretty rough.

Moonbeam doesn't have that mileage (screw you, COVID!), but still looks and feels like a new car to me. :D

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have been thinking the same thing about my Golf. People are always shocked when I tell them it's a 2015. As you mentioned, that is helped by the fact that it sat for almost 3 years (accumulated less than 50 miles) thanks to diesel scandal then COVID.

But I suppose there's also the fact that the 7.5 and 8s are evolutionary changes to what I think is a distinctive yet understated design that is going to hold up well over time.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those unfamiliar with this personal OCD hell:
This is what the stock knobs look like on the 8" glass display:

You see how it's not *quite* at 12:00? Well, if you turn it one detente back the other way, it's like that same 4° off of TDC in the other direction.

And then forget about it when my wife drives the car and leaves the volume knob pointed in some gawd-awful orientation. :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Might as well disconnect the fuel gauge too, so you don't have to worry about how much fuel is in the tank. ;)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Third iteration of amber LED in the turn signal of the front headlight assembly. First ones were useless - barely noticeably in daylight. Second ones were passable, but comparable to the incandescents that they replaced.
These ones pop really well in daylight, and are noticeable when the headlights are on, too (although I'd think at night that the dynamic amber turn signal in my mirror caps catches the eye more than what's in the headlight).

Here are the ones I got if anyone else is interested. Plug and play. No errors, no hyper flash.
(BAY9S is the bulb base - at least on the factory bi-xenon headlights; 3030 LEDs are among the brighter LED chips out there.)

TDI
2015 SE DSG
The best of intentions are often derailed by Wisconsin winters.

I attempted and failed to remove the skid plate from my wife's car so I was unable to change the oil myself. The T45 Torx bolts were rusted crazy solid. My impact gun couldn't get them out.

I'm going to try something drastic....either hammers or fire.

TDI
2015 SE DSG
For those unfamiliar with this personal OCD hell:
This is what the stock knobs look like on the 8" glass display:

You see how it's not *quite* at 12:00? Well, if you turn it one detente back the other way, it's like that same 4° off of TDC in the other direction.

And then forget about it when my wife drives the car and leaves the volume knob pointed in some gawd-awful orientation. :)
You must have the timing slightly advanced on your radio

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
skid plate? so non OEM spash shield?

Which plate do you have installed? ECS?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The best of intentions are often derailed by Wisconsin winters.

I attempted and failed to remove the skid plate from my wife's car so I was unable to change the oil myself. The T45 Torx bolts were rusted crazy solid. My impact gun couldn't get them out.

I'm going to try something drastic....either hammers or fire.
I'd try giving them a good dousing with PB Blaster first. And let it soak in for 24 hours.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
More "what the world did to my car....":
Windshield that got installed when I put in the lane assist camera....lasted less than 25K km. 🤬
Diameter of the main fracturing (not the few long tentacles) is probably a little over an inch.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
More "what the world did to my car....":
Windshield that got installed less when I put in the lane assist camera....lasted less than 25K km. 🤬
Diameter of the main fracturing (not the few long tentacles) is probably a little over an inch.
Is insurance going to cover this? Are you considering the heated windshield retrofit now??

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Insurance will cover it for a "nominal" ($200, IIRC) deductible. Given that it's a non-standard part already on my car - one which they will have to purchase from the dealer (none available aftermarket - at least not when I went fully out of pocket for the Lane Assist retrofit), maybe I can point them in that direction....?
Got a part number handy? :D

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@Nuje Ask and ye shall receive...

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Has anyone here deleted their golf and mind answering a few questions? I'm in the middle of it and confused by what is staying (sensor wise) and what can go.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@Nuje Ask and ye shall receive...
Thanks!
I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but couldn't remember (that it was in my own thread over at Golfmk7.com 🤦‍♂️)

Unrelated: In checking out the parts in that diagram to make sure it's the fit for my camera, I noticed this - the little gel pad that goes between the rain sensor and the glass for (on sale!) $79?!!? 😱

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Those Canadian kopeks don't stretch as far as they did in 2012. Still not a great deal.