Is this place legit??

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
I wrote the guy three times and he would not provide any information on where the parts were made or what kind of quality control they went through.

Sometimes cheap parts can be more expensive than expensive parts :rolleyes:

commonrailkid04

TDI
2001 Golf GLI TDI
thats what i thought, if it sounds too good to be true it most likley is. Prices were just crazy low! Thanks for the feedback guys!!

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat
im just looking around his site (i think its run by a guy named prothe)hahaha he lists the nozzles in mm instead of micrometers (dont know how to make the little mew symbol)

Alex Trebek

TDI
1985 Jetta TD
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it is the same guy running these ebay auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-D...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5636121f9c

And before it gets dismissed as "cheap chinese crap" I would like to hear from someone who has actually had first hand use with them, or at least a friend who ran them. Not just someone who you heard about, because there are too many variables, i.e. crappy assembly, poor ring gaping, etc.

The reason I ask is because I used a $100 cheap chinese 6 puck clutch in my awd turbo DSM and I launced it at 10psi @ 5500 rpm's all day long, and it held up better then ****ty ACT garbage that costs 5 times the amount.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Seems every few months I read about a newer member finding this website and the responses are always the same. Very cheap in everyway. I haven't tried him but I have read about him. Hope that helps.

Alex Trebek

TDI
1985 Jetta TD
I see. I mean 99% of the time the stuff that looks like cheap crap, IS cheap crap. I was mostly just curious, seeing as I need new pistons for my rebuild. So I'm assuming the best idea is to go with KS pistons?

Is there a vendor that sponsors the forums at all? Or a recommended vendor at least?

kane66

TDI
only IDI's so far
I bought one of his rebuilt injector pumps and it was total garbage. Wouldn't run at all. He's scammed a lot of people in the same way. If you buy anything from him, only purchase things that are not precision parts, otherwise it may end up costing you more in the end. At least that's what happened to me.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Check out the stickys at the top of this page for registrered vendors that support TDICLUB.com.

I've personally dealt with TDIparts.com (peter) and Boraparts.com (Aaron) and Worldimpex.com. They all have provided excellent customer service and have been extremely helpful guiding me in purchasing the right parts and materials for my application.

Alex Trebek said:
I see. I mean 99% of the time the stuff that looks like cheap crap, IS cheap crap. I was mostly just curious, seeing as I need new pistons for my rebuild. So I'm assuming the best idea is to go with KS pistons?

Is there a vendor that sponsors the forums at all? Or a recommended vendor at least?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Alex Trebek said:
And before it gets dismissed as "cheap chinese crap" I would like to hear from someone who has actually had first hand use with them, or at least a friend who ran them. Not just someone who you heard about, because there are too many variables, i.e. crappy assembly, poor ring gaping, etc.
Recently I was helping local tdiclub member with VCDS. He had recently installed one of prothe's serpentine tensioners and showed it to me while we were adjusting timing. It looked totally failed: boot torn, bucking wildly, leaking fluid. It hadn't been in there long and he subsequently replaced it with a part from one of our trusted vendors.

Alex Trebek

TDI
1985 Jetta TD
Thanks everyone for the input/suggestions. However, and maybe I'm not doing a great job searching, but I couldn't find any vendors including the ones listed that sell new pistons.

Here is one of the only places I've found that appear to be legit.

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/parts.htm

Am I missing something? Or are they one of the only places that carry new pistons?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I'm not sure if any of the vendors have pistons listed for sale on their website, but I'm sure more than a few of them could get them for you.

Looks like you are trying to find pistons for a '85 TD? You might try talking to this guy. I know he has stock of TDI pistons, not sure about the older stuff but he can probably point you in the right direction:

[FONT=verdana,helvetica]Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
417-232-4634
username here: Franko6
[/FONT]

Alex Trebek

TDI
1985 Jetta TD
I'm not sure if any of the vendors have pistons listed for sale on their website, but I'm sure more than a few of them could get them for you.

Looks like you are trying to find pistons for a '85 TD? You might try talking to this guy. I know he has stock of TDI pistons, not sure about the older stuff but he can probably point you in the right direction:

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
417-232-4634
username here: Franko6
I am looking for an '85, I should have specified that, sorry about that. Ill Give Frank's a call.

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
a buddy of mine bought a "new" upgrade hybrid turbo for his AHU from Prothe...

it looked really cob-jobbed...random washers stacked up under random bolts etc.

Surprisingly, the turbo still works after a year and the car runs like a champ with almost 300k on it with mods and high 40's mpg!

Still, I would never buy any of that dude's products...I think my buddy just happened to get lucky.

Alex Trebek

TDI
1985 Jetta TD
I called Frank at Frank's, man, what a nice guy. I'd recommend him for sure. He is helping me hunt down a set of OEM replacement pistons for my mkII Jetta TD.