Oil Cooler Gasket Failure

warrenite

TDI
2000 Jetta, TDI
Has anyone else had their o-ring on the oil cooler fail?

Mine went south last week, the only notice was a couple of drops on the driveway, didn't even know if it was my car or not. I drove 5 km across town and the oil was just pouring out, had to add 4L to get to the garage, only another 5 min away, it was basically empty by the time I arrived.

Three lessons learned:
a. Have a 10mm socket driver in the car, had to buy $30 socket driver set to get one from walmart

b. Look for sliver lining, cheap repair and I normally would have gone straight home an hour long drive, not sure what happens when there is no oil in an engine, this can't be healthy? Right ??

c. Someone left a nice note on windshield "You appear to have a small oil leak..." There was a huge puddle of oil spreading from under the car. Lesson -> Some nice people don't know how much oil a car should hold

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
To run out of oil and get fixed for a hundred bucks or so sounds sweet to folks who've burnt their engines. Sounds like this could have been a lot worse.
I don't remember ever hearing of this specifically. I don't think it's a typical failure.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
c. Someone left a nice note on windshield "You appear to have a small oil leak..." There was a huge puddle of oil spreading from under the car. Lesson -> Some nice people don't know how much oil a car should hold
Lesson -> Some people can't easily detect sarcasm