2011 and 2014 JSW DSG gear differences?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

I came out of an 2011 JSW TDI which had M1 failure at hairline of 300k miles and gone thru the buyback. (RIP) while I had her, she always chugged at 65 mph under 2k rpm.

I now have stage 1 fix 2014 JSW TDI with 27k miles and now 30k miles (bought a month ago) and she chugs at nearly 2100 rpm at 65 mph and MPG isn’t that great. Averaging 36-40 on hwy. in city, you don’t want to know.

Is there something to do with stage 1 fix that puts DSG into “sport” mode on 6th gear, even on manual gear shifting, same result.... When I shift from D to S. The tach never moved. That made me think that its in constantly sport mode on first and 6th gear as it launches harder than my old JSW when she was stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hello,

I came out of an 2011 JSW TDI...

I now have stage 1 fix 2014 JSW TDI

Is there something to do with stage 1 fix that puts DSG into “sport” mode on 6th gear....
I assume the 2011 and 2014 were/are both DSG? I can tell you the DSG has a lower gearing (higher rpm) at 6th than the manual transmission. That is for sure. I know of no difference in the 2010-2014 DSG TDI JSW's..... Is it possible you have different rims and tires. That might change RPM a little. I can't tell you what I turn at 65 mph off the top of my head.

SPORT mode does not change gearing only when it shifts. 6th gear is 6th gear. At highway speed it should not be holding it in 5th.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hi, they are both DSG. Same exact rims. Actually they are exact twins. White with cornsilk interior and 16” biolone wheels.

Thats why I am baffled on the RPM speed at highway speed compared to the old one and new one.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hi, they are both DSG. Same exact rims. Actually they are exact twins. White with cornsilk interior and 16” biolone wheels.

Thats why I am baffled on the RPM speed at highway speed compared to the old one and new one.

Interesting. I am stumped. Only thing (besides there is a gear difference) is there is a RPM reading error. If you find out a WHY? Let us know.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Check your speed with gps, 6th gear times final drive should be exactly the same rpm regardless of what mode you are in, the dsg is a lockup box, same as a manual once you get past start (unless you have a slipping clutch pack) sport mode should just change shift points when you are pedaling it, Id bet anything when cruising with minimal throttle there is hardly a difference. There is an option to aply a correction to speed for snow tire size on your MFD, perhaps yours is changed for some reason, if the gps shows different speed than your speedometer Id try adjusting that setting, see if you can get your readings closer

Last edited: