Front end popping sound....help

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So about 6 months ago, I developed this popping sound from the front end. When it happens, it is quite loud. There are actually two popping sounds, one on each side. They sound the same; just one comes from the passenger side and the other from the driver’s side. The sound happens most of the time when I accelerate hard or break hard. If I break hard, without accelerating hard afterward, the popping sound will only happen once when braking. If I brake hard again it will not pop until I accelerate hard again and cause the pop again. Then the next time I break hard again it pops again. I can do this either way, by braking or accelerating. Occasionally, it will pop when turning sharp into a driveway or in or out of a parking spot.

The entire front suspension was refreshed a little over a year ago with new Koni coilovers, new ball joints, new upper strut mounts, (actually camber plates), and lower control arm bushings were replaced with bearings that are supposed to last allot longer than the bushings.

The first thing I did was to replace the long sub frame bolts with the kit from ECS tuning. I re-torqued all the other sub frame bolts when I put the kit in. Made no differance at all. I fully checked the entire front suspension but could not find anything that appeared to be loose or otherwise have a problem. The CV joints seemed fine. The Sway bar bushings seemed good.

I just replaced the tires and got an alignment a few weeks back and had my suspension check everything in the front end again. He could not find anything wrong either. He was suggesting that it might be a cracked or broken firewall because he had seen that on BMW's before. He did not take the time to start pulling thing apart to look closer at the fire wall.

Anyone have any other ideas?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thatd be my guess as well

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
motor mounts?
You mean like they could be broken, or cracked?

You know you might just be right. I have an oil pressure gauge mounted on the front of the motor, on top of my Diesel geek bypass filter. The other day I noticed that the wires had been ripped out of the sensor, ruining it. Seems to me that the motor would have to be moving allot to have ripped the wires out because there was plenty of slack with the wire attached to the top of the radiator support.

Will be checking the motor mounts.

Thanks

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
When you did your subframe bolts, Did you also insert the friction plates?

There is a kit available from ECS as well as Vw for a shifting subframe.

You should get two plates (Part Number 7M3-499-349-A) and two bolts (Part Number N-908-235-01). The plates go between the subframe and unibody.

The problem is that the wax in the unibody seeps out on hot days and allows the subframe to shift under hard acceleration, braking, or off camber turns.

These friction plates cut through the wax and keep a hold on the subframe and unibody.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
sound like the control arm bushings need to be replaced. every time you accelerate the arm moves down and when you brake it moves up, when moving out of parking spots it will pop as well.

Roberd42

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta, 2014 TDI Beetle
So was it motor mounts or control arm
Bushings? My mkv is doing this popping like a midget thumping the firewall on acceleration, braking, and right turns. I'm at 157k miles and nothing has been replaced in the front suspension.