Popping and Whining From front end....

TexasAmazon

TDI
None, Sadly.
This is my first post after lurking and reading for sometime.....

When I turn the wheels on my Jetta to the left when cornering sharply or while the car is in park (for testing purposes), there is a popping / clicking noise that comes from the passenger front wheel area. I got down on my hands and knees and tried to pinpoint the sound with out much success. The CV Boots appear to be in ok shape (no visible cracks or holes) and have about 90,000 miles on them. Is it possible for a CV joint to fail without a tear in the boot? Possibly a strut mount moving around?

Also there is a high pitched whine when I hit ~30 mph from the driver side front wheel area. Could this be a hub bearing? I put the car in neutral and the noise is still present. Seems to be worse on cold mornings... but its not always apparent unless you listen for it. It seems to be drowned out at high speeds. Its not really the jet engine / grinding noise I heard when the rear one went out. There is not any lateral play in the wheel when i jack the car up...... There is also not any rubbing of the splashguard against the rotor. Its the mystery noise that came about after an alignment and new front tires......

I have done a bunch of searches and none of them really seemed to help me pinpoint my problems. Any advice would be great as I am about to embark upon a cross country trip. Thanks all.

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Bearing anyone?

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Sounds like a bearing with no lube in it.

CV's would have been my first guess too, but since they seem OK, I'd go with bearings.