Engine Start Blocked By Immobilizer P1570

maniek

TDI
2.0 TDI PASSAT
HI

I got problem with my passat b6 2.0tdi. sometimes i can't start engine and sometimes is not a problem.

we scann system and trouble code is p1570 (17978)
engine start blocked by immobilizer, also on display coming message
''short circuit to another valve''
this one we can erase but after few minutes coming back .
what that mine????

also other trouble code is p1699 (18107)
powertrain data bus :
missing message from steering wheel. that one we can't erease at all.
this code is all the time.

please give me idea what i should do next.

best regards
maniek

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Hi there, this is a copy & paste of a previous post written by someone that was very familiar with the imobilizer:
"
As someone who basically gets paid to hotwire cars for a living (I am a 12V electronics installer by trade.... remote starters), I can tell you a few things:

1) Main issue is breakage on the actual antenna wires leading from the reader to the cluster. They are very small...... 28ga or so. In the cold, moving the column a lot will do this.

2) The RFID pellet on the VW keys lives along the outer edge of the key.... for those of you with valet keys, the two halves of the head pop apart. You will see a torpedo shaped glass pellet. This is the RFID pellet. It is in roughly the same location on the switchblade key. It is not accessable without doing major damage to the key (irreparable) on the switchblade key. The antenna around the chamber in the column reads using it's outer edge, like 1/16" or so, and towards the interior of the car. Simply gluing the pellet to the back of the ignition switch, or even the antenna itself will not read. It is an extremely low power, narrow window for the reader (micro watts)....... and the pellet pretty much needs to be within 1/8" of the antennas fronte (visible) side.

3) On immobilizer 3 cars, a key that is not seen by the cluster in around 4 months of daily start cycles, will be dropped by the system. It assumes lost or stolen, and will remove that key from the memory for system integrety's sake.

4) The car only reads the key until the end of the crank cycle. It then could care less if a valid key is in the ignition.

5) It doesen't really care about seeing 2 keys at once... as long as both are valid keys for the car. Due to the transmission power of the system.... you would need to have both keys within 1/4" of the antenna.... not an easy feat with the size of these keys.

Dropping your key a lot will eventually crack the glass pellet... this will let moisture accumulate inside the tube, and will eventually render the circutry inside the tube inoperable (ues... there is a weee little board in that tube.....)

VW does use one of the more secure systems...... GM on the other hand uses the least secure system (PK3). PK3 can be gotten around without any programmed keys for the vehicle...... all you need is a PK3 key that is cut for the ignition. I know the procedure, but I am not sharing it.... for obvious reasons :)

Ford, Dodge, Mits, all need 2 valid keys to program additional keys (Fords will hold up to 10 valid keys, BTW.... then it will bump #1 when #11 is leasnrd, and so forth) Dodge, and Mits are both using a Phillips system that also "marries" the programmed key to the vehicle. Once a key is programmed to a Dodge product, it can not be programmed to any other car, no matter what (unique to the Phillips system) VW, BMW, and Mercedes all require the use of an SKC for additional key programming.... Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, and Kia require the scan tool be used to get into programming mode (well... Toyotas you can do with a combination of gas pedal and brake presses... the scan tool is just easier). Mazda uses Ford keys. (and there are now 7 different Ford key based Immobilizer types, BTW. And 5 of them look pretty much the same key wise..... an interesting challenge to say the least)"

I hope it helps

penclnck

Do you a message along the lines of "steering column lock" message in the FIS display?

Us yanks on the other side of the big pond have seen several B6 Passats where there is a faulty module that is part of the steering column thus, the steering column has to be replaced along with a single box that contains the CCM, TPMS and Immobilizer system. Installing the physicial parts is pretty easy, getting everything to adapt is a PITA with hot coals. Even when following the "detailed instructions" from VW, it still may not work until the 10th try.