B5.5 Passat Wagon Replacement Vehicle

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Mogolf glad you're in the $. For a long time veteran tdi club member, great to see you rise above the rest of us... Give me tdi's ot give me dX#!h. It's pretty awesome to see non tdi cars promoted on this forum:mad:

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
@ 50harleyrider, My RR has been a good one. Only had minor oil leaks at either tranny or transfer case seal (in that joint area so they replaced both) and tranny pan seal. They replaced all 3 early on. Everything else is as good as the day it was born. The only bad part is the depreciation on it if I were to sell it.

My aging TDIs have required more to keep them running, but I do keep them running even if they are resting more. I do miss the TDI GTGs from days past.

Oilhammer, would you still be interested in a white Passat TDI wagon? ;) "I have this Passat here..." :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Heh, wife is pushing me to part ways with stuff as it is, don't think I can entertain any more at this point. I am hovering around a dozen cars right now.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I appreciate all the recommendations made. We decided to save our totaled wagon. I bought it back and will be performing surgery on it soon.

In the meantime, on a whim, we spent our 40k plus dollars on this 40 foot travel diesel pusher instead! Lol

PSX_20200902_100548.jpg

oilhammer

TDI
Hah! That's awesome! Is it a "pusher"? Guy down the road from me had a smaller pusher, was born with a 5.9L Cummins, 12v, he redid an older 6.7L 12v Cummins from a medium duty Freightliner, put a big turbo on it and a few other goodies.... and a big ol' straight pipe. That was the sweetest meanest sounding RV ever. And his wife had to crochet a bunch of holders to keep the contents of the cabinets in place because it could pull so hard on acceleration. He ended up having to have the Allison transmission gone through and upgraded to handle the engine, LOL.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
It's a Diesel Pusher. Rides on a Freightliner XC chassis and has one of the last engine family that CAT made for on road use before going strictly off road.

Yeah, You got to watch out for the those "Guys down the road". Our neighbors enticed us into purchasing it by having this unit ultra clean and only having 6,700 miles on the odometer. This thing is not even broken in!

oilhammer

TDI
So it is pretty new then. I think Cat killed off their on-road trucks (which had their own engines) just recently.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Almost everything looks new, but it's old. It's a 2004 National RV Tropi-Cal T396.

Cat left the on the road business in 2010. My understanding is the on-road trucks were a joint venture with Navistar, and all the engines were manufacture and designed by Navistar as Cat engines. That agreement didn't last long and ended in 2016.

oilhammer

TDI
Oh I thought they were actually Cat engines. They painted them yellow anyway! I pass a big Caterpillar dealer every day (Fabic), and they always had a big row of their trucks out on display, some had their hoods propped up, dump beds raised, etc. Along with a few million dollars worth of excavating equipment, etc. Wasn't the HEUI injection system Navistar used actually taken from Cat?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
What I know is HEUI was again a joint venture with International (now Navistar) and CAT. CAT owned the HEUI name and International never used the name but were the first to put them out to the market with the 7.3 Power Strokes.
This CAT engine we have is a HEUI - btw. All the Navistar made CATs went common rail.

oilhammer

TDI
The DT466E got it before the V8s did. We had one of the last non-HEUI DT466, a '92 model. They got it late in '93, a year ahead of the V8s Ford used. And they were riddled with problems. Ours never, ever missed a beat. Simple Bosch inline pump, controlled with a cable. Three of the seven tool guys I've known over the years had DT466E trucks, constantly having issues. The big one was the injector "cups" leaking, causing the diesel oil to bleed into the fuel system, which was found by dipping a rag in the fuel tank and pulling it out black. Navistar later had to field a lot of lawsuits regarding this, by the then renamed MaxxForce engine family. They are still fighting it out, LOL.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Make sense there had to be a guinea pig in the case of the dt466e as the 7.3 ended up being such a respectable motor.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i was rear ended in my wagon last night and am collecting info on possible value of the car.
DeliveryValve, would you mind sharing what amount your wagon was totaled at and how that value was reached.
feel free to PM me. i will check at least daily

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
No problem. I don't mind. As I stated in your thread, I am sorry of what happened. That's tough.

About the wagon, the insurance company estimated that there is about $7,500 worth of damage.
They based the value off the condition of my car and online sales ads across the country.
We settled on a value of $5,700 with them taking the car. I decided to take it back and they gave me $4,900.

Hopefully this helps.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Curious, this makes the wreck worth 800.

The local large wrecker in our area will pay 50.00 for a car at there door. It must be complete and with the title. I am 30 miles away and they say it is not worth their
time to come and get a car for free. What is it like in other areas?

Slightly off topic.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Curious, this makes the wreck worth 800.

The local large wrecker in our area will pay 50.00 for a car at there door. It must be complete and with the title. I am 30 miles away and they say it is not worth their
time to come and get a car for free. What is it like in other areas?

Slightly off topic.
They'll only give $50! Here it's $130 per ton for whole cars.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
thanks for sharing, DV.
i have talked to an adjuster and the car is now in their possession. i have a stack of receipts for work done to the car to better document my investment.

could i ask how many miles yours had?