Which Control Arm Kit To Buy

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
I am replacing shocks and struts on my 2005 Passat TDI and decided it would be good to put new upper/lower control arms on as well. (260k miles on original)

Which kit should is the best and NOT Chinese?

IdParts: Spidan-GKN

FCP Euro: Lemforder or Delphi Technologies or Meyle HD

ECS Tuning: Febi or Meyle HD

Blauparts: They have two kits that are no name but sell for $600+

Boraparts (Cascade German): Meyle HD

Thanks for your advice!!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Stick with Lemforder or TRW arms. You don't usually need to replace all 8 on these later model B5s. My car had over 350K on the originals when I parked it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The later B5s hardly ever need these like the earlier ones did. I'd just concentrate on what you actually NEED. Usually, the uppers are best done in pairs, as the work to do one is essentially the same as the work to do the other. And the tie rod adjusters are often seized. Remember these require a specific raised toe alignment too, as the tie rods adjust up and down as well as in and out.

My B5s are at 215k and 240k, and they both have all their original front suspension arms. Replacing the factory struts with Billy HDs before anything was really worn out helps, as I really think quite often driving around with worn out struts allowing the car to wallow up and down like an old Buick cause stresses on parts that would not otherwise have happened.

As far as brands, though, I would only use Lemforder or TRW, in that order. Remember the B5 was built in China and continued production in China through 2009 (as the Passat Lingyu) and was pretty popular there. So it stands to reason lots of replacement parts are Chinese. And of course, quality can vary.

Also remember, the resting point of the control arms' inner mount is critical. They need to be tightened down in the position that is closest to the car at rest sitting on the ground under its own weight. If this is not done, the inner bushings (especially on the uppers) will be wiped out in very short order.

Last edited: