Mirror switch knob fell off

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
My wife was driving around yesterday, and I suppose while she was using the mirror defrost, the knob for the mirror switch fell off. I think it ended up falling out of the vehicle at some unknown point when she opened the door, so it may be gone for good.

Is anyone aware of a source that is good for just the knob, and not the whole assembly? Not feeling like paying the $116 locally for a new switch assembly.

I also see from a quick search there are what are probably Chinese knock off switches for other models/years, like these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Switch-Control-Volkswagen-Passat/dp/B006KZAJ8C

Anyone know if the knobs are easy to take off these switches? I have no intention of using the switches themselves, just the knob. I know they are slightly different than original, but should blend in just fine.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If it's like the Mk4 the knob isn't easily re-attached. I'd replace the whole switch.

This was a common problem problem on the older cars, I figured they'd fixed it with the Mk5s.

-J

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
You can find one on ebay, either whole aftermarket switch or used switch(take the knob off instead of removing the door panel to replace the switch) or the knob itself (you might have to work a little on the hole of the knob, some are circular instead of d shaped), i’ve cut the opening into a d shape with a knife. Then a dot of super glue and problem solved for much less than $115.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Pulled my off by accident. Just pushed back on. Its happened more than once, but it stay on it all you do is turn it.