2009 Jetta TDI - no front wipers - help!?

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Hi All;
After checking the 30 A fuse in my fusebox and noticing it was fine, problem still existing even after a replaced fuse, I ran a VCDS scan and found these errors.
Anyone have tips on how to proceed?
Thanks much for any advice.
PS
Happy Holidays!!!:)

00153 - Windshield Wiper Motor; Driver Side (V216)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 42
Mileage: 62786 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
OFF
Voltage: 12.30 V
OFF
ON

Last edited:

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Problem solved; sorry to waste anyone's time, but just FYI, front windshield wipers will not work if the hood is open or if the hood release has been activated.
This was my case, I had released my hood as I was planning to check some fluid levels, and then noticed my wipers didn't work.
I then checked my fusebox and had my hood open during all my subsequent investigations/tests.
Oh well, live and learn, and share!
PS
Thanks to the Bentley service manual that mentions this multiple times in the wiper section.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From time to time I have had bonehead moments as well. Good thing you didn't go to the dealer and have a bunch of parts needlessly replaced.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
haha, this is sort of funny. These cars have some strange features.

Just so you know, once you turn your car off you can hit the wiper arm and it will set the wipers in their full upright swing. You can then remove the wipers from the windshield so that you can clean the windshield, replace wiper blades, hang little flags on them at the ball games,, just whatever.

The reason that you can't operate the wipers with the hood open is because the wiper arm will hit the hood. Because of this you shouldn't open the hood if you have your wiper arms in their upright position.

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
Mine did not work this morning.it was 0degrees F today. Arms were not frozen to the windshield. I checked the fuse and upon shutting the hood they worked fine. I think the cold weather was messing with the hood interlock.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
When I bought my car at Carmax, my cousin who was the salesman and I were going over the pre-purchase checklist and he had me unlatch the hood, but then doubled back on the list and said to check the wipers. They didnt work, his response was "oh geez!"... not even really thinking I said "maybe its because the hood is open?", we closed the hood and they worked and we both commented "huh, thats an odd feature"...

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
Ha! Thank you for the post..... I was checking fuses and thinking crap... motor out! Closed hood and working! Thanks and who reads owners manuals? It’s like software agreements!!