2015 Passat Fender audio Bluetooth sounds strange

Sojourner

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium with Fender audio sounds just a little bit weird through Bluetooth. The bass seems to drown out mids and highs, to the point that it sounds like vocals and guitar parts get noticeably quieter when there is a heavy bass part. This is especially evident on some rock and metal, making it near unlistenable as it sounds like the vocals are coming in and out.

What’s up with this? I’ve tried playing with the EQ but it doesn’t seem to make a huge difference. I’m playing downloaded high quality music via Spotify through an iPhone X. I don’t have this problem with other Bluetooth speakers.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I may be way off base, but you are using the iPhone to send via Bluetooth to the Fender radio. My guess is that there are so many electronics in the car which may cause some interference.

I play music in two ways via a cable plugged into the plug in the armrest or a SD card plugged into the Fender radio. Everything is A1.

Sojourner

TDI
I may be way off base, but you are using the iPhone to send via Bluetooth to the Fender radio. My guess is that there are so many electronics in the car which may cause some interference.

I play music in two ways via a cable plugged into the plug in the armrest or a SD card plugged into the Fender radio. Everything is A1.
That would be pretty strange, especially since Bluetooth works fine somewhere like my home, where I have a computer, router, modem, etc. all in tight quarters. I haven't heard of Bluetooth being thrown off by car electronics?

I also haven't tried wiring in with an AUX cable given that I'm usually charing my phone while driving. I could definitely try that to see if that helps. I assume that's what you mean when you say cable plugged into the armrest?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Mine seems fine but i play country or oldies from amazon music through bluetooth on an iphone 6 plus or an ipod classic on the mdi cable in the armrest. Have you tried another phone?

Sojourner

TDI
Mine seems fine but i play country or oldies from amazon music through bluetooth on an iphone 6 plus or an ipod classic on the mdi cable in the armrest. Have you tried another phone?
I'd really like to use the MDI with my iPhone but I can't figure out how to make it work. I haven't tried another phone yet, I can try my wife's iPhone 8 to see if that makes a difference.