Buyback Lessons Learned

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Had my appt this morning. Went mostly smoothly, although the final value was less than what the original estimate was.
2014 JSW TDI, 67.3K miles. Estimate said $29,986. 39 months since September 2015, which put it squarely in the 25-30K range at the time, so supposedly $0 mileage adjustment.
The final offer was $29,028 - and they couldn't explain where the difference was - whether it was mileage or features - and my only recourse was to decline the offer and file an appeal.
What are your features? This buyback calculator for that car with sunroof, nav and DSG gives $29,027. Do you have something else?

taylorgtr

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
What are your features? This buyback calculator for that car with sunroof, nav and DSG gives $29,027. Do you have something else?
Found the error. I didn't have a mileage discount....but the earlier estimate had me under-running the final mileage by about 8K. The original offer letter guessed that I would be at ~58K, which would have been a +$960 in the settlement value.

I never thought that I'd be under mileage, so I only looked at the mileage tables....and didn't question that the original estimate would be artificially high.

In the 2+ years since the settlement estimate was put together, I basically hit the expected mileage, so there was no addition or subtraction from what the settlement amount should have been.

....and I got exactly what I should have received for the mileage I had. Duh.

It would have gone more smoothly if the person calculating the final numbers had said - "Your original estimate had you under-running mileage, but the final calculation shows you right on target" - they couldn't explain why the numbers were different, which made it confusing.

My error was not going back and verifying what made up the original number in the estimate.

In the end, I get $29,027 in the bank just in time for Christmas....and I get to go buy myself a new car. So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I've actually thought about an eGolf or plug-in hybrid (Niro or Prius). I live next to Dulles Airport, so getting there isn't an issue. When I go to NYC, I usually take the train or bus - I take 2-3 longer trips (>300 miles) a year, and I could easily rent whatever I wanted to for those - so that's an idea.
With that kind of range requirement, it seems like any of the older generation EVs would be perfect for you. We just returned our leased eGolf. We only put 19K miles on it in the three years we had it and the residual was about 12K so you can imagine they are going for a song on the open market.

I just got a mailer regarding leasing the Niro for $100/month for two years.
We almost bought a Niro but the payments were penciling out to about $500 per month. We ended up with a 2015 GSW SEL for around $12K.

dsimmelink

TDI
2009 Blue Graphite Metallic Jetta TDI Sedan
Buyback complete and my black beauty is gone....

It went very well... I got $24,616 (less a little bit of the loan I still owed) for my 2014 Jetta TDI w/ premium at 72.5k miles. Can't complain.... didn't get more than I initially paid for it brand new but it ended up being a VERY cheap lease essentially nonetheless!

Trying to finalize what my next purchase will be.... I've been wanting to go the AWD route... leading candidate is a 2018 Honda CR-V exl right now. Lots of fun bells and whistles on that baby.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Buyback complete and my black beauty is gone....

It went very well... I got $24,616 (less a little bit of the loan I still owed) for my 2014 Jetta TDI w/ premium at 72.5k miles. Can't complain.... didn't get more than I initially paid for it brand new but it ended up being a VERY cheap lease essentially nonetheless!

Trying to finalize what my next purchase will be.... I've been wanting to go the AWD route... leading candidate is a 2018 Honda CR-V exl right now. Lots of fun bells and whistles on that baby.

Read up on fuel dilution on newer Honda with the turbo engine. There’s no fix for it yet.

taylorgtr

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Read up on fuel dilution on newer Honda with the turbo engine. There’s no fix for it yet.

Also, it’s a CVT. It you really liked how the VW handled and low-end oomph from the TDI, the CR-V is a VERY different driving experience. Very little low end torque, and and it leans in corners something fierce. It’s a very comfortable, pleasant car, but it hates to be pushed.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Does your question have anything at all to do with the Dieselgate scandal, the class action settlement, or even TDIs at all?

taylorgtr

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
I found my replacement for the TDI. Picking it up next week. Pics to follow.....

Well, the color was off - looks like Alltracks were disappearing from lots faster than I could track them down. Missed out on a blue one, then a gray one...and the next closest cars were at least a 5 hour drive away. I had resigned myself to having to get a Tiguan....

...but I found a White 2018 Alltrack within a 90 minute drive - checked it out, asked what would take to move it on VW's last day of their year (today, 1/2/19)....and here's how I made out:

2018 VW Golf Alltrack
MSRP: $37048 including destination and accessories (Monster Mats, rear mat, cargo blocks and safety kit)
Taxes and title (estimate) ~$1300
Total: ~$38,400

My cost, including taxes, tags, dealer doc fee, and a Partner $500 discount...

$31,000 OTD.

Considering I got $29,026 for my 4-year old TDI, less than $2K out of pocket for a new AWD Alltrack, I'm pretty happy.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Window to file for a buyback has passed, and the car you purchased from Carvana was previously bought back (owner was paid), had the diesel fix applied, and auctioned off to Carvana who sold it to you.

Margarita

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thank you! I figured that. I didnt even know about diesel gate when I bought it but foundbout afterwards cause after I purchased it and driving for a couple of days my check engine light came on....and then a glow plug light and finally a third fuel sensor light came on....took it to a dealer and found out that I have a ten year emissions warranty so they replaced the bad sensor for free....at least i got a warranty on it for free.... :)

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Thank you! I figured that. I didnt even know about diesel gate when I bought it but foundbout afterwards cause after I purchased it and driving for a couple of days my check engine light came on....and then a glow plug light and finally a third fuel sensor light came on....took it to a dealer and found out that I have a ten year emissions warranty so they replaced the bad sensor for free....at least i got a warranty on it for free.... :)

Lol have you been living in the cave and not knowing about the dieselgate?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This happens when you do no research on anything you buy. You have no clue. Once again read the paperwork we told you about in another post here. The emissions warranty covers quite a bit of stuff for a very long time.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
Lesson Learned.

Procrastination.

That was the major lesson learned. I've always been the type of guy to wait until the last minute to get things done.

This time it almost came back to bite me. So, I began my VW buyback saga in late summer of 2018 because I wanted to milk those VW TDI miles on my '09 JSW TDI before turn-in. I initiated the online process, but didn't finish it. My intent was to complete the documents portion on Sep 1st. That last day, the website kept showing an error and I was unable to get through on the helpline. So my only option at that point was to fax the entire claim, which cost me about $70 at Fedex Office.

So, naturally, I get the "claim denied" message from VW because they say I didn't submit documents on time. So, I go through the Appeals Process through the CRC. I submitted my appeal in early September only now, in late January did they actually move on my case. I won my appeal and am in the "Supervisor needs to review your documents" stage before they give me an offer. VW is giving me until the end of February to complete the entire buyback process.

On my 2009 JSW TDI w/ 185,000 miles I am slated to receive $12,700 back in fresh VW cash. The car is probably worth less than $1K bluebook.

This car was my daily driver and I found a sweet 2011 JSW TDI w/ only 26K miles for only $10K, so I'm essentially trading up with a few hundred to spare.

In addition, I have one of the NEW 2015 Passat TDI SE's that was held for sale w/ the $5K off and 0% financing option.

:D

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
So, your car got newer, had 160k miles erased and they write you a small check?

You did OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk