TDi 150 Cold Starting Problems

Mieke

TDI
Golf GTi 1.9 PD 150, 2002 Reflex Silver
My TDi 150 always starts first time when the key is turned, but for the past couple of months it struggles when starting from cold in the morning.

The engine starts OK but struggles to reach normal idle speed (950 Rpm) until the throttle is 'blipped'. I've had the car from new and it has always gone to correct idle speed immediately, regardless of temperature. It's as if there is not enough fuel being injected at cold startup. No sign of any excessive smoke or anything.

Is there some kind of sensor that lets the ECU know that the engine is cold and therefore injects extra fuel? It starts fine once warm. I have recently replaced the glow plugs, as 2 were faulty, but it's still summer so they will not be functioning, and the problem was evident before that.

Anyone got any ideas on what it might be? Otherwise the car runs as well as it ever has.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
How long since the TB was changed? I have seen some people with ALH engines where the TB seems to stretch a bit after 60K miles or so and the timing becomes retarded enough to give them some slow starts.

Mieke

TDI
Golf GTi 1.9 PD 150, 2002 Reflex Silver
Hi, thanks for replying. The TB was changed about 2K miles ago. I would be surprised if that's out as the car runs perfectly other than cold starts. Plus it's the ARL type 1.9 engine where the injection pump is driven directly from the camshaft and not by the TB.

I guess that I'll book it into the dealer to see if they can find anything with a diagnostic check.