Going to attempt the Timing Belt

Wrxified

TDI
2001 Golf GL Indigo Blue
I have a 2001 Manual TDI Golf.
First a question. The previous owner of my car did the timing belt at 29k. Why? I can't find anything that supports a reason for this. At what interval should this be done. I recall my the owners manual stating 60k on the manual. Correct?

Second question. I have 75k on the odo today. I should start thinking about this again right?

Third and I've seen it asked different ways but just want to make sure I'm safe on my own. I want to do this and don't think there's any reason I can't venture into a project like this. I'm worried a little bit. I've done most of the maintenence and tuner projects on my cars. I had a WRX that I did the uppipe, turboback, intercooler, swaybars, suspension, leather seating and so on. I did the shocks and spring on the TDI also. How does the timing belt compare to this? The uppipe on the WRX was a PITA but I did 3 of them including helping friends and got to the point where I could do them in a few hours which require removal of the intercooler, exhaust manifold, jacking up the engine etc. Is the timing belt on a TDI similar to this level of difficulty?

And what's a legitimate estimate on time for a novice wrench turner headed into a project like this? 4 hrs, 6 hrs, weekend??

I just don't want to end up in a situation like some of the other victims in this group that took it to a dealer and spent hard earned cash on crappy work and the risk of a total loss to the engine. If they can do half arse job hopefully I can pull of a 3/4 arse job for less money.

Last question and sorry to ramble on. I am looking at the DG deluxe kit. If I decide to spend more and want to go all OEM for the same 100k style kit is there a parts list I would bring into the dealer to make sure I get everything? Does DG's kit include all the tools they show. I can't tell. The site is cluttered with too much information IMHO.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reidler

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001, Black
I did my own timing belt, and it was a bit difficult, but not impossible. Print out drivbiwire's instructions ( start here ) and follow them to the letter and you should have no problems. Don't forget you will need some special tools, and I recommend the complete timing belt kit from dieselgeek.com.

The job took me and a friend about a full day (8 to 10 hours) to complete (it was our first time for this style of engine).

Hope that helps...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I am looking at the DG deluxe kit. If I decide to spend more and want to go all OEM for the same 100k style kit is there a parts list I would bring into the dealer to make sure I get everything? Does DG's kit include all the tools they show. I can't tell. The site is cluttered with too much information IMHO.
A dealership will NOT install the DG kit. And if you somehow persuaded them to do it, they would not warranty their work.

So just update your profile... I'm sure there's someone reasonably close who can do a better job than the dealership, anyway.

Also, the DG kit does not include any tools.