Questions about putting mk4 calipers on rear.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I started putting mk4 calipers on the rear as one of my calipers was sticking.

I am assuming that you have to use the existing Passat caliper carrier as it doesn't look possible to make the mk4 one fit?

I bought some ceramic pads for mk4 rear calipers from idparts and when I tried to fit them they would not go in with the metal brake clips installed. I have ground a little of off the sides of the pads to make them fit. I have them fitting now, but still pretty tight, should they be able to slide freely? If so I need to grind a little more.

Has anyone else had this issue with pad fitment when using mk4 calipers?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The Mk4 carriers don't work with the B4 install, you have to use the original B4 caliper carriers.

Because you're fitting the pads into the B4 carrier you shouldn't be using the metal clips I don't think. The pads should move freely.

Steve

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for that, the pads were really tight when used without the clips so I think shaving a little off will be necessary even if I don't use the clips.

I read somewhere about grinding a part of the back of the caliper being necessary, is that so?

Also I have a brake line I got from the junkyard, it's from a b5 and is a hardline with a crimped on banjo fitting, is this the right Hose to be using?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for that, the pads were really tight when used without the clips so I think shaving a little off will be necessary even if I don't use the clips.
Just make sure that the tracks where the pads slide are smooth and clean so the pads can move if necessary.

I read somewhere about grinding a part of the back of the caliper being necessary, is that so?
Yes, if you have the caliper with the square protrusion on the backside you will need to grind a significant portion of that off in order to get it to move as far as it needs to. Otherwise it will contact the end of the beam axle when it moves.

Also I have a brake line I got from the junkyard, it's from a b5 and is a hardline with a crimped on banjo fitting, is this the right Hose to be using?
The brake line you need is from the early B5 Passat cars and is a hose connected to a banjo fitting. Sounds like the one you got is not the correct one, there are two options. You want the one without the hard line. The one with the banjo block and the short rubber hose is the one that will it the native B4 Passat axle hard lines.

Steve

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
The brake line you need is from the early B5 Passat cars and is a hose connected to a banjo fitting. Sounds like the one you got is not the correct one, there are two options. You want the one without the hard line. The one with the banjo block and the short rubber hose is the one that will it the native B4 Passat axle hard lines.

Steve
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...1317753,brake+&+wheel+hub,hydraulic+hose,1792

You're looking for the rear upper/outer hose.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
I would not use the mk4 pads even if you grind them off. It's calling for trouble.

Just installed the mk4 calipers with the required brake lines and everything else stays the same/stock.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't tracked down any hoses yet but out of curiosity, why would it be a problem to shave a little off the pads?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would not use the mk4 pads even if you grind them off. It's calling for trouble.

Just installed the mk4 calipers with the required brake lines and everything else stays the same/stock.
No one is advocating for grinding pads, we're talking about grinding down the square boss that's on the backside of the caliper since that conflicts with the B chassis rear beam axle.

Since you use the Mk4 calipers with the Mk2/Mk3/B3/B4 caliper carriers there's no reason to use anything but Mk2/Mk3/B3/B4 types pads, which require no no grinding at all.

Steve

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually I was talking about grinding the edge of the pad, not the actual part that touches the rotor but the metal edge, anyway I found that if I didn't use the clips and cleaned up the carrier, the mk4 pads fitted.

I wound up finding some hoses from an Audi A4, not sure if they are the same as b5 Passat, but they work, they may be a tad long but they are not kinked or anything.

I also saw springs on the Audi calipers and recognized the slots for the springs are also on the mk4 calipers, so I snagged the springs too, will they help any? I managed to get them to fit easily enough.