went in for EGR recall for 04 jetta along with other recall things now car makes tick

Journier

TDI
2004 GLS 68,000 miles Automatic
brought car in to replace the glowplugs, the egr cooler got replaced, ECM got replaced.... and i brought it in to fix seat heater under the extended warranty.

picked it up today, all smiles, till i drove down the road and hit like 1800+ rpms with a load on the engine.

Car started ticking, ONLY when TURBO boost is occurring though!

Flipped around drove back to the Orland park dealer, and told the guy i spoke with, he jumped in car with me, both windows rolled down, he couldnt hear it :rolleyes:

drove around like 5 miles with him, he never heard it once :( said bring it back if it breaks or if it gets worse, and off i went :(

How do i check the egr for a leak myself... on 04 PD.

I have an eery feeling either the new one is cracked already or something wasnt completely tightened.

The sound is like a tick a weak ticking only when turbo boost is going.

With car in park and revving to same RPM range doesnt do it, IT HAS TO BE turbo related , but im no expert on these cars.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I swear, mine had that tick for a couple of years. But I heard it mostly when coasting, under certain conditions. Now the EGR pipe definately has a leak. As for finding the leak, eventually you should see soot buildup.

But honestly, it seems all too common for these pipes to need replacement every few years.

Journier

TDI
apparently noone can hear it ^_^ except me, everyone ive asked is over 40 though so far.

im gonna take it on a 45 minute drive today and see what happens:/

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Now that I think of it, mine was more of a chirp than a tick. Anyhow, maybe you should try to figure out under what conditions it does this tick? All the time, under acceleration, under deceleration? I have found that, once the motor gets past about 170F, it will produce boost during engine over-run.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
This is exactly why I don't want to bring my car in for the ECM/glow plug recall. My EGR cooler is also original and surely the dealer would try to replace it. No thanks. Good luck with having it resolved.

Gil

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 auto wagon and 2004 stick
If they broke the cermanic glow plug when taking it out and a piece went through the engine and turbo...
It happened to me in May 06.
Make sure you get paperwork on your problem and a call to VOA for a case number, can't hurt.

Journier

TDI
yea, so i should call VOA? and get a case number or should i complain to dealer again?

i sorta got brushed off because the knock was sorta quiet, but I can still hear it :(

really its a tick/Knock, only on acceleration only when boost is applied.

edit-

took car back to dealer they said theyd take a look at it today, they said theres no fault codes, and they cant hear the knock/tick....

bah maybe im crazy.

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I would say an exhaust leak...you can tell by getting under the hood and smell for exhaust, or inspect the exhaust area for soot contamination from the leak..