B4 hard start and no dash lights (sometimes)

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
For a week or so first start of the day it barely trips the solenoid. Third or fourth time it starts fine. Yesterday the first turn of the key no dash warning lights. Second and third the solenoid zinged. Fourth time is started. Am I looking at another ignition switch replacement ? :mad:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
maybe check the battery terminal connections and also apply power directly to solenoid to rule out starter before the hassle of ignition switch...

I was having issues like that and just assumed weak battery because if i hooked up charger/jump cables to it, it would start right away... turns out the act of attaching cables was wiggling the terminals and it would make better contact and start fine. I replaced the cable ends and problem was solved.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks, will check voltage at solenoid and battery is almost new. Will check voltage and voltage drop at battery anyway. I'll clean everything too. Even if voltage was low to the solenoid or the starter was bad, that would not blank the warning lights would it?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I dont think a bad starter would mess with dash lights, but poor battery cable connections would.

your probably right on the ignition switch but i'd the check other stuff just in case you can maybe avoid that PITA switch replacement.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Voltage at the solenoid isn't a sure tell.

My wagon was experiencing an intermittent no start condition. I was seeing voltage at the solenoid, but found a break in the 50 insulation. Turned out the wire was corroded and couldn't supply the needed current.

Chased past the corrosion (about 12") soldered in a clean pigtail with the correct plug and used adhesive lined shrink tube.

Been fine since, other than the Chinese Hella relay that went bad, but that's a different story.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I had issues like that for a while on my B3. After much frustration and attempts at cleaning things I replaced the battery cables and alternator charging wire completely.

Got some military style terminals for the battery and some big fat lugged welding cables from a place that does RV and off grid power products.

The military style terminals are great, lots of places to attach extra wires. For the ground wire I ran a pair, one to the engine and one to the body. They connect at the battery terminal.

Post install my starter cranked noticeable faster and I haven't had any issues with starting since. Been nearly a year now.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks all, I cleaned everything and no difference. Some other stuff came up, but when I get time I will replace wiring next and let ya know what I find.