Bulb under High Beam, GOLF IV, what kind of bulb?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I noticed that this bulb is out. I just replaced the low beam bulb, but noticed that this bulb was out as well. I know it isn't an H7 bulb. What type is it? Also, why is it there in the first place. What is it's function?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Geoff,

In case you didn't know how awesome you are, just wanted to let you know that you are. Thanks.

canbluegolf

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
yeah there is also a change procedure PDF if you need help...

City Bulb Change PDF

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely done!

Is there anyway to make that little bulb the DRL and leave the H7 off until the headlights are turned on?

Steve

canbluegolf

Veteran Member
CmdrData,

Is there any way to do that with the stock switch?

I know you can disable the DRL with tape but that doesn't leave the city lights on all the time right?

Steve

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel like an a**. I went looking for a W5W bulb and couldn't find one. Is it a Sylvania #168? It wasn't listed in the Sylvania catalog at the store. Nothing says "city light". Bentley (book) has nothing on it either.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You might find that a 194 would work. A 168 has a wider base and may not fit. W5W is the "European bulb" designation. Wally World, and other fine stores often carry them.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I know the side bumper lights are 194 bulbs. I have a spare one from when I replaced my amber bumper lights with the clear ones, needed a 194A (A-for amber colored) bulbs for that. I still will go and see if they have 168s.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
Re: Bulb under High Beam, GOLF IV, what kind of bu

So by using the Euroswitch, the city lights are enabled just like that...plug and play? I've been wanting to do this for some time. Looks like I'll have to throw on the Euroswitch now.

jester69

Veteran Member
Re: Bulb under High Beam, GOLF IV, what kind of bu

So by using the Euroswitch, the city lights are enabled just like that...plug and play?
Not exactly, but yes. It takes a small piece of electrical tape. See here:
http://www.bugmod.com/drl_tfl.htm

here is how to install the switch:
http://www.bugmod.com/euroswitch.htm

I bought one from this guy*, $39 shipped & genuine VW Do Brasil (yes, made in brazil, my original switch on my german made car came from Spain.)

http://www.vweuroswitch.com/

FWIW some of the non VW ones have been getting stuck in peoples dashboards.

take care,

Steve

*No commercial connection, I don't make any money off this, I am just a satisfied customer.

Fezzak

TDI
2003 Golf GLS (100k)
Digging up an old thread here to get this part number up. The official bulb part number from the VW parts catalog is:

N017753-5

OEM appears to be Osram-Sylvania. Hope this helps someone! I couldn't find this part number anywhere online until I got it from a VW parts store.