Hella Headlight Washer Retrofit Kit on a Jetta

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Herbert,

I'd really try and wait for your caps. I can shoot you dimensions but you really ought to test fit/cut as you go. You don't want to buy a new bumper and pay to have it painted!!

Just my opinion. I can measure mine tonight.

L

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic sedan galactic blue
Hi Lito,

I take your advise. I will just drill a little hole each side first to locate the centre of the nozzles. Then I will wait for my caps to arrive. PG told me the shipment should be in this week - but they don't know exactly when. As long as I have a hole on each side, then I can put my bumper back to drive around, I will be fine. I just can't drive my car with my bumper skin off. lol
Thanks.

Herbert

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL, Herbert, it'd look like a crab. When you get your covers, you can look at the bottom. There is a tab that sticks down that is designed to help "align" the cap as it comes back to the bumper. Almost like a guide.

What I should have done but didn't was to make a pattern out of card board of the bottom and marking the location of the holes which the nozzels clip onto.

Using those markings and a location of the nozzels underneath the bumper, align your pattern accordingly estimating as best you can the final resting place of the caps once they are installed.

Hope this is not confusing! I think you'll understand once you get the caps.

Lito

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
When I was doing my wiring this afternoon, I hit a slight problem: I don't have a fuse on fuse#33 slot, not even the pins. I checked with the guys at local dealership, he told me that fuse#33 (S233) is for the rear wiper. So I just added the pins (1 x 000-979-225 - cut in half). Connect pin#33 to the fuse#24 (S224) pin#24a, and pin#33a to T18a/15. I will see if this is correct later once I hookup the pump. Just to note that I have a Jetta sedan.

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just put everything back together after days of wiring. Tested the headlight washer. Everything is working.
One question. It was suggested on some previous post that when I hold the wiper stalk to spray contiously, my headlight washer will spray too. That's what I got now. But how can I know if the control unit will count 4 times I spray my windshield, then 1 time headlight? I tried but doesn't seem to count. Do I need to wait a few second/minutes in between each windshield spray? BTW, I am using OEM control unit for non-raintronic cars and hookup the wiring OEM-way. Thanks.

Cheers, Herbert

PS, some pics I took tonight after finished cutting my bumper, just need to paint my caps......

Kennedy

Veteran Member
I have no idea where that rumor of 4 sprays to every 1 headlight spary came from. It's not true. Your headlights get sprayed every time you spray your windshield (when your lights are on...).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! The cut in your bumper looks perfect. Very nice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

L

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea where that rumor of 4 sprays to every 1 headlight spary came from. It's not true. Your headlights get sprayed every time you spray your windshield (when your lights are on...).

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I read the following on the first post on the first page here on this thread:
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to wire the kit the same as the factory installation, (Downside of the hella retrofit kit is that your headlights get sprayed everytime you clean your windshield. The OEM install only sprays your headlights when the lights are ON and every 4th time you squirt the windshield. The Hella way, everytime, you'll go through fluid like crazy.), you will also need:

1J0 955 531 "Relay 192", (if you have any plans to use the rain sensor gizmo with your windshield. If you don't have the rain sensor you will lose the intermittant function of your wipers with the "192" relay.), or;

4B0 955 531 E "Relay 603", (this relay is the one for headlight washers with no rain sensor.)

[/ QUOTE ]
So even if I am using the OEM relay/control module (Relay 192 or Relay 603), the headlight washer will spray everytime I spray my windshield, right - that's the OEM way too?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's how mine work. I noticed if you give the winshield short bursts of fluid(with the lights on), the front headlight washers won't activate.

L

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
I see. Mine works like that too. For short burst, the headlight washers were not activated. But after 4 short bursts (a few seconds pause between burst), the headlight washers were still not activated. So I am just wondering how long should I pause between each spray (I think logically should be longer than a few seconds).

At least my headlight washers will spray on continuous long spray, I am happy with that.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder where I got that quote from??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Herbert,

When I added my MOGOLF heated fluid device I put in the Golf stalk and a Golf washer motor.

Simply by putting in the motor and stalk, if I push the stalk forward, it makes the pump operate in the opposite direction which sends heated fluid to my windshield.

It also doesn't activate the headlight pump. Pretty cool /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's the opposite polarity so there is no juice running to the headlight pump.

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
I got mine from IMPEX.

You would have to check if they have any more and take into account the caveats I made about the part numbers.

Make sure and call. Don't depend on entering the correct part number in the web order form!

Vorsprung

sounds good, ill make sure and give them a call. Im assuming they have this part available cuz it was a MY2001 jetta wagon part right?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Im assuming they have this part available cuz it was a MY2001 jetta wagon part right?
No.

Correct Part Number for the Euro Rebar = 1J0 805 551 E

NOTE: It seems that the VW warehouse has the C rebar, (US), as the replacement for the E euro rebar in their computer and it doesn't matter what number you order you will be getting the C if you are in the US.

John at IMPEX will be trying to get some of the correct ones from Germany but it might take awhile. If you are interested let IMPEX know that you want the E rebar with the headlight washer mounts because if you order it from the web form it will default to what VW says and you will receive the wrong one! (Don't ask me how I know this..)
It doesn't matter what year you specify you will be getting the C if you are in the US.

That is why I recommend that you call and talk directly with a salesperson, (preferably Jerry at Ext. 106), and tell them that you want the "E" with the headlight washer mounts.

They will probably have to order it and physically verify that it is the correct one when it arrives, (John had to do this for me when I ordered mine after sending me the wrong one the first time I ordered it throught the internet webform.)

Last edited:

Vorsprung

thanks for the clarrification, sorry about all these questions but id like to get this in the states rather than ordering it from Europe which is possible for me though very expensive.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
Headlight Washer Retrofit Kit on a Jetta

Hi, can you tell us please were you able to get the correct
rebar and did u get these parts:

1J5 955 109A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Left
1J5 955 110A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Right

1J5 955 103 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, Left
1J5 955 104 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, right

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
mike said:
Hi, can you tell us please were you able to get the correct
rebar and did u get these parts:

1J5 955 109A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Left
1J5 955 110A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Right

1J5 955 103 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, Left
1J5 955 104 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, right
I had to order these parts directly from germany, (as well as the Hella Golf Headlight Washer kit).

The only thing I got here was the bumper rebar and that was because John at Impex was able to track one down for me.

mike

Veteran Member
TDI

FYI, TMTuning.com sells the complete headlight washer retrofit kit.
Includes Euro rebar, lock carrier, jets and covers.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
mike said:
FYI, TMTuning.com sells the complete headlight washer retrofit kit.
Includes Euro rebar, lock carrier, jets and covers.
The picture on their site doesn't show the rebar and covers...???

mike

Veteran Member
TDI

I emailed TMTuning an inquiry about the additional parts
required to retrofit for the Hella washer shown on their
website.

Damian replied with a complete list of all the parts.
All had correct part numbers as quoted in this thread.
He said thev'e supplied a growing number of headlight
washer kits and can get any European part.

I placed my order. Delivery, direct from Deutchland,
expected to arrive in about 3 weeks.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mike said:
I emailed TMTuning an inquiry about the additional parts
required to retrofit for the Hella washer shown on their
website.

Damian replied with a complete list of all the parts.
All had correct part numbers as quoted in this thread.
He said thev'e supplied a growing number of headlight
washer kits and can get any European part.

I placed my order. Delivery, direct from Deutchland,
expected to arrive in about 3 weeks.
John at worldimpex also orders parts direct from Germany, in fact the number is probably active on his website.

Rebar shows up as $111.00, Washer Jet $15.00, Caps at $28 ea

Last edited:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
So to recap, to install this great option, I need to get:

The kit $200
rebar $110
Washer jets $30
Caps $56
Relay $48

Total $444 and shipping is NOT included! :eek: I think I'll pass for now. Sucks cause I've been wanting to do this for a while now:(

mike

Veteran Member
TDI

Maybe prices vary due to daily exchange rate. My invoice with shipping:
Complete Golf/Bora Hella wash sys USD 199
1J5 955 109 & 110 A (washer covers): USD 25.00 / set
1J5 955 103 & 104 A (jet carrier): USD 25.00 / set
1J0 805 551 E MK4 Euro rebar w/mounts: USD 65.00
1J0 805 567 lock carrier support: USD 17.00
freight USD 59

Look forward to having these this coming NEngland winter.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pepper10 said:
So to recap, to install this great option, I need to get:

The kit $200
rebar $110
Washer jets $30
Caps $56
Relay $48

Total $444 and shipping is NOT included! :eek: I think I'll pass for now. Sucks cause I've been wanting to do this for a while now:(
It's not a cheap mod. At least $400 unless you find the parts used. I guess I was lucky. Most of my parts were used and already in the US.