Transmission help in Portland, OR

MustardCrick

TDI
2005 B5.5 Passat TDI
Happy New Year!

I am a newly joined member(old profile expired), but have been reading the valuable information on this forum for quite a while. Thank you to everyone!

I have an 05 B5.5 Passat TDI and the transmission just sh*t the bed...

After ordering the Vag-com, I was able to read the codes and got P0811(clutch slippage) and P0730/0732 (Gear ratio incorrect). It is in limp mode and the codes came back after being cleared.

I believe the trans is gone and I need a replacement, however, I'm not sure where to get this done in Portland. I have read to the trusted mechanics list and am familiar with Fix em Haus, but was wondering anyone had a experiences getting an auto trans replaced in Portland.

If there was some place that could do the manual swap locally, I'd really consider that as my best option, but I haven't had any luck with that...

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

I love this car when it's running...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Phil

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
These were and presumably still are the go to guys in Portland: http://fixumhaus.com/
I would give them a call and see if they can help you out with a conversion.

Also, One of the club vendors; Cascade German Auto parts is run out of the Portland Area by member bleachedbora. http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=17172 He may be able to recommenced a local shop as well.

MustardCrick

TDI
2005 B5.5 Passat TDI
Thanks guys for the advice.

I talked to Fix Um Haus(best TDI shop in town!) and he actually recommended a local transmission shop that can rebuild to VW specs for a reasonable price. Taking it in next week for a rebuild on the auto. Thanks Rich for the honest advice ��

I would love to have it converted to a manual, but didn't have any luck finding someone who could do it for me...

Appreciate all the info I've taken in from this forum!

Phil

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Check their reputation. I dont know anyone on here who's recommended a rebuilt vw transmission for the b5 outside of ZF. They are not known for lasting long when rebuilt by shops. I believe the new transmission from vw is in the 3500 range with a new converter. Labor to just remove and reinstall shouldn't be much.
These guys may be top notch, just ask around, especially on their success with b5 transmissions. I'd hate to hear a horror story. The oem trans is known to keep going strong well after 200k if properly maintained.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I only know of 1 place I would use other than ZF. But it's a guy who only works on high end European stuff and prices accordingly.