ALH lift pump install how to?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I've been searching for ages and I can find hundreds of threads but I cannot for the life of me find a how to on fitting the PD lift pump into the ALH, has someone got this bookmarked?

Cheers

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Superb, cheers guys, I knew the info was around somewhere.

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
fyi, the wiring of the id parts guide doesn't work for an '03 ALH, different harness. The basics are correct, but the guide on where wiring is is not.
I've got a lift pump sitting in a box for mine I've not gotten around to installing for this reason. :)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
fyi, the wiring of the id parts guide doesn't work for an '03 ALH, different harness. The basics are correct, but the guide on where wiring is is not.
I've got a lift pump sitting in a box for mine I've not gotten around to installing for this reason. :)
Follow the pictures I posted, it doesn't get any easier.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I hear people say this can take 6-8 hours. But the above makes me think this whole job is at best half-that for someone doing it the first time.

What is so complicated about this install?

Also, the IDparts PDF seems use pics and info on MK 3s, not MKIVs. See the picture on the 2nd page. As far as I know, all of my relays are inside the car, above the driver's well.

So, what's so hard about installing the relay near the other relays (maybe an empty slot), running one wire to the power block, one wire to the ground that's to the left of the power block, one signal wire up to the injection pump, and one back along under the door sill trim to the fuel pump?

I have all the parts myself, including the IDparts kit, just need to do the install.

Finally, if the pump fails, does it fail open or closed? Meaning, does the system revert to the ALH injection pump sucking fuel as usual?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I followed the Idparts thread and it all workes fine. Those are the location of the relays for the mk4. For some reason I think yours are in a different place since your car was originally an auto.

Look up the Left Coast Mod to make sure the lift pump fails safe.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I tapped into the 12v accessory plug in the trunk to power the lift pump. Already fused and ready to go.

That leaves only the signal wire running to the front of the car.

The ID Parts instructions for tapping the signal wire into the harness did not work for my 03 Beetle. Found a black/white wire, but it provided no signal. IMO easier to run signal wire directly to the IP. I didn't find it hard to make the install look clean.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Finally, if the pump fails, does it fail open or closed? Meaning, does the system revert to the ALH injection pump sucking fuel as usual?
IF you do the check valve and extra fuel line customization it will restore the stock ALH IP sucking action if the pump fails. If you don't it is a problem. There is a link to the process somewhere here on the forum.
It is called: [FONT=&quot]How to: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit.[/FONT]

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I read through that fail safe option, and at the very end the viton hose failed due to heat issues in stop and go traffic after 3 hours. That is unacceptable. Anybody know of a different material?

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
I read through that fail safe option, and at the very end the viton hose failed due to heat issues in stop and go traffic after 3 hours. That is unacceptable. Anybody know of a different material?

can you get braided viton? like 2 layer fuel line, with netting between layers,

would make it better. ive dealt with the same viton issues, some have no issues, I think it is more fuel line routing than a material or heat issue.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
There are actually two write-ups. The later one uses these parts which were spec'd out to remove the problem with the stop and go heat (in a very hot place I might add). I have run this setup for almost three years now and no problems:

[FONT=&quot]I modified it using larger tubing and components than LCR did originally.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I used 5/16" ID clear polyeurethane hose #1510 from [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.ProCycle.us[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I used 7 spring type hose clamps 14-0094 from the same source.
I used a 5/16 barbed check valve 47245K24 from [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]www.mcmaster.com[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I used a 5/16" barbed tee 5372K614 from the same source.

[/FONT]

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Great info! I will keep this info handy and start getting the parts and planning the install. (I already have the pump and install kit from idparts so I am close).

Jacky bar

TDI
97 Audi a4 b5 afn 110
Hi,
In the lift pump fail safe mod, could I use nylon tubing?, as nylon doesn't degrade in diesel.
Anybody know??

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
I would compare it to all of the other available types and see how it rates. If you are EVER going to run any biodiesel you may want to pick another rated tubing after looking at the comparisons. Also, the heat issue that someone else had.

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com and drill down to their tubing types, there is a great chart that spells it out...

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
Is the relay necessary? In other words, can I just run the signal wire direct from the injection pump to the lift pump?

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
What is the purpose of the relay? Is it just a safety kill switch when the key is off?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Jumping in here for info, as I also need a lift pump for my 03 ALH wagon

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
Is the relay necessary? In other words, can I just run the signal wire direct from the injection pump to the lift pump?
The lift pump will rob volts from the fuel shut off valve. The shut off valve will eventually shut due to lack of volts holding it open, then the motor will konk out and you'll be stranded.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Please excuse the noobish question, but what's the reason for retrofitting a lift pump to an ALH? Is it to support engine mods?